I need help! Info for 1972 Valiant sedan

-

Mathias Siler

Reaction score
Hey all! I have a 1972 Plymouth valiant with the 318 v8. (Just broke 50k miles!!)

I have a few questions for the genius people of this website.

What transmission do I have? It feels like it shifts about 3 times.

Is there anything Relatively easy to do to increase power out of this 318? I’m no mechanic but I know how to turn a wrench

I want to stay reliable and I’ve been pondering taking a junk yard 5.3 engine and tranny and making alittle more power and staying reliable. What would I need to do and what would some issues be?

Rims are 5x100, any recommendations for rims? I need something wider and slightly bigger on the diameter.

Final question, Why in the effing heck can I only manage do to a one-wheel burnout :(

Your transmission is likely a 904. To get more power I assume you have a 2 barrel. Get you a edelbrock performer and a 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust and some headers will help also. There isn’t a ton of choices on rims for the 5x4 bolt pattern. You can get some crager rims always look nice. The reason for the 1 wheel burnout is you have a non sure grip 7.25 rear end. Cool valiant you have there.

Save the 5.3 swap till way down the road... LOL. Just focus over the next several months, if not years, getting to know about cars.

Last edited:
Ok, in order:
1) Torqueflite 904
2) Many things on this site to get the power up on a 318. do a search for 318 cams or cylinder heads.
3) Swapping in a "brand X' motor/trans is WAY more trouble than modding what you have, it's a good platform.
4) Wheels are 5X4" pattern and I'll bet you have drum brakes all the way around. If you are going to be adding power you will need to upgrade to disk brakes at least in the front.
Depending on which rear end you have (probably a 7 1/4) it will need upgraded with the power increase too. 1973 up A body's had disk brakes and a more common 5X4.5" bolt pattern. More wheel choices.
5) your differential is an "open" type. to get them both to spin you need a "SureGrip" (or PosiTrac) type Differential.
All part of the rear end upgrade.

No, it only shifts twice, as it's a 3 speed. Odds are extremely high it's an A904 transmission.

I have a few questions for the genius people of this

Final question, Why in the effing heck can I only manage do to a one-wheel burnout :(

Genius? Really, you are going to patronize people in a intro to ask questions.

Because it needs a Chevy engine and nawz (NOS) bro, for real bro.

Genius? Really, you are going to patronize people in a intro to ask questions.

Because it needs a Chevy engine and nawz (NOS) bro, for real bro.

You spelled genius wrong...

JENIUS.jpg

Hey all! I have a 1972 Plymouth valiant with the 318 v8. (Just broke 50k miles!!)

Is there anything Relatively easy to do to increase power out of this 318? I’m no mechanic but I know how to turn a wrench

I want to stay reliable and I’ve been pondering taking a junk yard 5.3 engine and tranny and making alittle more power and staying reliable. What would I need to do and what would some issues be?

Rims are 5x100, any recommendations for rims? I need something wider and slightly bigger on the diameter.

First thing to do is to put dual exhaust on it, at least 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" diameter.... The stock single exhaust really restricts the engine....

Next thing to do is put a dual plane 4 barrel intake manifold on it... Then put a Holley 80457 carb on it that comes with electric choke....

Next upgrade is to put a larger cam similar to a 340 cam or slightly bigger and install a double roller timing chain, the stock 318 timing chain is junk - it will stretch easy and can jump a tooth when the nylon coating on the gear gets old and brittle and chips off making the chain looser....

The reason it will only do a one wheel burnout is you have an open rear end, if you want to do two wheel burnouts switch to a Sure Grip rear axle....

This will tell you how to do the 5.3L engine swap.... :rolleyes:

Red Headed Stepchild-75 Swinger LSX Swap

Yeah, doesn't know how to do basic power mods to a stock 318 2bbl, but wants to tackle a 5.3L transplant.... Good luck...

Yeah, doesn’t know how to be a human being and not bash other people. Good luck. Try not to hit your wife to hard

First thing to do is to put dual exhaust on it, at least 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" diameter.... The stock single exhaust really restricts the engine....

Next thing to do is put a dual plane 4 barrel intake manifold on it... Then put a Holley 80457 carb on it that comes with electric choke....

Next upgrade is to put a larger cam similar to a 340 cam or slightly bigger and install a double roller timing chain, the stock 318 timing chain is junk - it will stretch easy and can jump a tooth when the nylon coating on the gear gets old and brittle and chips off making the chain looser....

The reason it will only do a one wheel burnout is you have an open rear end, if you want to do two wheel burnouts switch to a Sure Grip rear axle....

Awesome! Thank you so much man!

Your transmission is likely a 904. To get more power I assume you have a 2 barrel. Get you a edelbrock performer and a 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust and some headers will help also. There isn’t a ton of choices on rims for the 5x4 bolt pattern. You can get some crager rims always look nice. The reason for the 1 wheel burnout is you have a non sure grip 7.25 rear end. Cool valiant you have there.

Noted! Thank you!!

perfect, thank you!!

Yes I used to be a certified genius but I got really really ld and most my brain cells have dried up.
But really, go to the search spot,and you will be able to find volumns of info on just about anything.

as far as the wheels go, US indy still makes the small bolt pattern slotted mags in 15X6, 7, 8 and maybe wider, but wider wont fit without a little work anyway

someone mentioned brakes, and the rear end

this is something you need to give some thought to before dropping money on wheels

because there are only 2 options out there for SPB discs, you can try to find some Kelsey Hayes discs, from the early 70s, or you can buy a scare bird kit which uses off the shelf brand X parts to convert your valiant to front disc
(i guess i should also mention wilwood brakes, but if i remember correctly, they add so much to the track of the car that you need new wheels anyway, and that kinda defeats the purpose)

now, if you are willing to switch to LBP you can get a disc brake set from a LBP A body (and even some others) which are a lot more readily available, and a direct bolt in

of course, this means you need to change the rear end to LBP as well but the same things goes there, it is a lot easier to find a stronger rear end in LBP then SBP (you could even get a rear end out of a ford exploder and rework it to fit the valiant)

if you decide to do that, that will open the options for different wheels

so give that some thought first

20200822_123034.jpg

as far as the wheels go, US indy still makes the small bolt pattern slotted mags in 15X6, 7, 8 and maybe wider, but wider wont fit without a little work anyway

someone mentioned brakes, and the rear end

this is something you need to give some thought to before dropping money on wheels

because there are only 2 options out there for SPB discs, you can try to find some Kelsey Hayes discs, from the early 70s, or you can buy a scare bird kit which uses off the shelf brand X parts to convert your valiant to front disc
(i guess i should also mention wilwood brakes, but if i remember correctly, they add so much to the track of the car that you need new wheels anyway, and that kinda defeats the purpose)

now, if you are willing to switch to LBP you can get a disc brake set from a LBP A body (and even some others) which are a lot more readily available, and a direct bolt in

of course, this means you need to change the rear end to LBP as well but the same things goes there, it is a lot easier to find a stronger rear end in LBP then SBP (you could even get a rear end out of a ford exploder and rework it to fit the valiant)

if you decide to do that, that will open the options for different wheels

so give that some thought first

View attachment 1715675125

You’re awesome man thank you so much!

oooo ok thank you man!

Easy to tell if it's an A904. Crawl under it and look at the pan. If it's a square pan with one of the corners knocked odd, it's an A904. If it's a square pan with a corner knocked off AND a kickout at the passenger's side front corner, it's an A727. It would have to be sorta a special order like a taxi or some other fleet car to be an A727.....OR someone swapped it out in the past. I feel sure it's the A904.

Yes I used to be a certified genius but I got really really ld and most my brain cells have dried up.
But really, go to the search spot,and you will be able to find volumns of info on just about anything.

So I'm just wonderin, like I'm sure the rest of us.....tell us all when your certification ran out. ;)

First off welcome to the site! You will have to excuse some of us! We tend to not have the best manors towards newbies especially when they start talking ls swaps in their first post! Haha. Its all good tho nice car btw I love valiants. Like mentioned you have (more than likely) a 904 3 speed. The rear end is a open diff thats why it only spins one side. Take it from me just drive it and enjoy it don't worry about power 70 is the fastest you can go legally anyways. Unless your building a race car of course. But for a street car keep it stock keep it simple and drive and enjoy it. The more you add the more trouble and frustration it becomes and more than likely you will get fed up and sell it. Enjoy the site and the car bro! Hope to see you around the boards

-
Back