I need help removing the starter from 71 demon

-

71340demon

Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this but I need help with removing the starter from a 71 demon (dart) Now heres the thing I got the full starter of the car, but there is so much stuff blocking me from removing the starter itself. I know it sounds stupid (im terrible at explaining things sorry) Hopefully with the pictures you will understand my problem and maybe give me some solutions.
3Y6na

Those 4 pictures are what im dealing with. The part of the starter that would bolt on to the frame is stuck on a exhaust pipe, and I cant seem to get it loose. The starter itself is not connected to the car in any way, its just stuck in there with stuff holding it up. Any help is awesome.

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this but I need help with removing the starter from a 71 demon (dart) Now heres the thing I got the full starter of the car, but there is so much stuff blocking me from removing the starter itself. I know it sounds stupid (im terrible at explaining things sorry) Hopefully with the pictures you will understand my problem and maybe give me some solutions.

Those 4 pictures are what im dealing with. The part of the starter that would bolt on to the frame is stuck on a exhaust pipe, and I cant seem to get it loose. The starter itself is not connected to the car in any way, its just stuck in there with stuff holding it up. Any help is awesome.

If you can't rotate it and tilt it so that it slips out through one of the opening below it then you might have to take your headers loose from the heads and drop them low enough to get it out of there.

Treblig

Try turning the wheels to the right and see if that helps.
Other than that, if you drop the idler arm it should get free enough to come out.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 112
I seem to remember being able to pull it by jacking it up and turning the wheels to the right to get drag link clearance.

Other wise you are looking at taking the drag link loose from the drivers side.

Buy a mini started to replace that one

Is this your pic?

View attachment starter.jpg

It's a pain, but you can get it out if it's anything close to mine (74 Dart Sport) you just have to turn, wiggle and turn some more, it's tight but will come out.

Turning the wheel as suggested might be worth a try, I think I had to as well. Don't remember which direction though.

Look at your center link and watch it if you can or have someone turn the wheel while doing so, one direction will make a larger opening for you.

if I remember correctly you have to turn the wheels just right pull it all the way back and push the rear end up , rotating the starter , bring it down nose first thru the tight azz hole and it should drop str8 on your nose ouch , that's how I remember it going . you might need a hand turning the wheels to the right position for max holage lol .I think we even pulled the motor mount nut and jacked up the left side of the motor to get clearance from the steering arm. then when you put it in you have to feed it back up in the hole back end first ,push it all the way back and rotate again and it should fall in like butter , remember to unplug the battery first ,and don't forget to put the nut back on the motor mount witch might need a tap to go back in the hole, hopefully not tearing up the threads . now this is not garonteed but I think that's how I got the little scar on my nose makes me remember it ,but its the same way in my 65 cuda , witch leads me to ask do you ever have starter heat up problems ,where the car wont start when its at operating temp ?? hope this helps you . GL and HAGR8 YEAR

-
Back