i need help with my 70 dart

-

dartingahead

Reaction score
my name is adam i just joined this site and i recently came across and 1970 dodge dart swinger for free and from what i can see i the only body parts i can see that i need to replace is the fight front fender and the right rear quarter panel but have no clue where to get them so any suggestions on websites would be nice i also would like to find a 440 and does anyone have any suggestions on what 4 speed transmission to put in it any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

my name is adam i just joined this site and i recently came across and 1970 dodge dart swinger for free and from what i can see i the only body parts i can see that i need to replace is the fight front fender and the right rear quarter panel but have no clue where to get them so any suggestions on websites would be nice i also would like to find a 440 and does anyone have any suggestions on what 4 speed transmission to put in it any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Welcome to FABO Adam! Check Dantes, Goodmark, Sherman for the quarter. Fenders pop up here and on other Mopar sites frequently. Re: the 4-spd. Are you looking to stay with an OEM A-833 or are you considering the possibility of an aftermarket 5-spd (ie. Keisler, etc.).

hey thanks for the suggestions with the sites, the car now has a slant six in it with and auto trans i want 440 with 4 speed manual but dont know which one is best to have for that particular motor

IMO Goin RB it can be a pain to find exhaust for it and gets even better when you add in the 4-speed part of it!Unless you wanna spend lots of dough on little parts!

yea not really into the spending money thing but a buddy told me i could use headers for a certain year cuda but im not sure i also considered a 340 and ive found the motor mounts so i dont have to use a k member but i havent read anything on how strong they are or how well they hold up

You can get a pair of B-body headers into it with a low block...but it takes a bit more for an RB.The Schumacher mounts are good but they recomend a torque stap also.Go check this site out http://www.bigblockdart.com/ lots of info .

If you live in SoCal you can go to the FallFling or call Bill & Ed's in Fontana.

yea not really into the spending money thing but a buddy told me i could use headers for a certain year cuda but im not sure i also considered a 340 and ive found the motor mounts so i dont have to use a k member but i havent read anything on how strong they are or how well they hold up

HI, Adam. Just thought I would give my 2 cents

If your not into really spending money, I would recomend you Not do a big block. i just finished building my 1970 duster 440, and I don't see how you could do the swap for under $4,000. I did mine by finding the best prices I could, and it cost me about $5000, not including the price of the car, or engine, or diff.

If you go big block you will need disc brakes ( you have to stop) and an 8 3/4 rear. your car is only as strong as your weakest point.

If I were you, and budget was an issue, i would do a small block.

Good running 360 for $500
auto Tranny for $200
schumacker Motor mounts for $180
$200 for nickel and dime stuff ( oil, gaskets, spark plugs, etc etc)
$200 for exhaust

total of $1280. You can't do all that with a big block....trust me. Look at my thread if you want.

Phil

Hey adam, just wondering what your thinking of doing.

Here is a break down of big block expences....

$500-$2000 for big block engine ( $500 for a barely running stock 2 brl $2000 for a rebuilt with 4 brl,and other goodies) Your not guna want a 2 brl intake on it anyways, so even a stock motor and a purchase of a 4 brl intack and carb to bolt on will still cost around $1000
$180 for schumacker motor mounts
$200 for headers, or exhaust manifolds
$230 for 3 inch exhaust and muflers
$350 for auto tranny and drive shaft shortening
$1700-$2500 for big block bell housing, A body tranny, Clutch, Clutch linkage, and shifter, and shifter linkage. clutch pedal assembly
$300 for aluminum rad
$500 for Disc brake conversion
$1000 for 8 3/4 rear end
$500 for nickel and dimeing stuff ( because you are doing way more work than a small block install.

and I am sure I am missing some stuff. If you do it with a $1000 engine ( including carb and 4 brl) and an auto trans, your total would be around $4260

and if you go with the same engine but 4 spd, your total would be $5610-$6410

Sure you can not upgrade your brakes, but with the added weight of the big block, I wouldn't recomend it. and you can also ditch the diff, but your stock 7 1/4 diff will bust, and then your car won't go anywhere anymore

Oh, and you will also need a proper oil pan for another $50-$100, and possibly T bars, though I have heard that /6 bars are ok, also need frame conectors, and you might have problems with your stearing linkage. so you may have to buy new idler and pitman arms...and...and...

Don't want to rain on your parade. But I just want you to know all the expenses befor you take this poor car apart.

Keep us posted

Phil

If you want to go the used part route, the front fenders from 70-72 Dart/Demon will work. Valiant/Duster front fenders lack the extension on the front and the wheel opening is different from the Dart/Demons. Rear quarters from the same years Swinger/Scamp twins ought to work. Shipping sheet metal around can get expensive. Recommend you save the $s and try to find it local. That way your version of slightly dented or rusted is the one that carries the day. If you pull it yourself, you also get an education on what you will need to do on your car.

If you want to go the used part route, the front fenders from 70-72 Dart/Demon will work. Valiant/Duster front fenders lack the extension on the front and the wheel opening is different from the Dart/Demons. Rear quarters from the same years Swinger/Scamp twins ought to work. Shipping sheet metal around can get expensive. Recommend you save the $s and try to find it local. That way your version of slightly dented or rusted is the one that carries the day. If you pull it yourself, you also get an education on what you will need to do on your car.

72 demons and darts have the wrong marker lights

-
Back