I need recommendations on tires

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
71 duster with a 318. I currently have 205/70R 14 tires on the car. Looks like I can not get the raised white lettered tires I want. I need suggestions on a tire size that would look the best. I believe it has 7" wide rims on it.
The power steering is very touchy, so maybe a wider tire maybe in order????? Help!

Attachments

• Duster Starboard.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 257
Then you have big bolt pattern? The 14s even on the 70 era Barracudas were still 5.5" wide. The 15" were 7" wide.

I do not know what to tell you until the tire comes off. I was told 7" and I tried to measure it and I think it is 7.

Every company that balances tires with a computer balancer has this caliper to find the rim width since the number must be entered in to the balancer.

Attachments

• mpHXJdMdy54UDVJh5OvFhyQ.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 211
Depends on what your doing or looking for, the T/A is a great street tire, I run at the local track a good bit an really like my 275/55r14 Hoosier dot quick-times on the rear an 195/75r14 in the front, on american racing aluminum wheels 14x7 front 14x8 rear

I like the 205 70 14s on the front and 235 60 14s on the back. Pretty much the same diameter and not too much for those '70 Abody Ralleys

The power steering is very touchy, so maybe a wider tire maybe in order????? Help!

stock power steering is over assisted. also check the alignment. you can get a lot of that out with a proper alignment.

like stated already if they are factory mopar 14" rally wheels then they are not 7". either 5.5 or 6"

any 14" tire is going to look too small on the back of a duster. i'd buy a set of 15" rims and tires for the rear.

I had it aligned after the front suspension was rebuilt. I took it back to them a few months back to recheck the alignment and they saw it was slightly out so they realigned it then.

Then you have big bolt pattern? The 14s even on the 70 era Barracudas were still 5.5" wide. The 15" were 7" wide.

I have 14x6 Ralley wheels. I think thats the widest that came in 14 inch. They are big bolt pattern. Maybe his are after-market???

You need to get an alignment for radial tires. Most shops will punch the year, make and model into their computer and set the alignment to those specs.

Those specs are for a bias ply tire.

I tried this at work (Ford service department). I punched in 1968 Barracuda and it gave the factory specs. Those specs were the same, 40 year old specs, from the 1968 Plymouth service manual. Specs for a bias ply tire.

the T/A is a great street tire

Compared to a hockey puck, maybe? Compared to anything else, NO.

The world in which BFG T/A's are a "great" street tire doesn't exist anymore. And hasn't for at least a good 20 years. Probably more than that even. They may be one of the only tires available in the right sizes for a 14" rim on these cars, but that doesn't make them great. Compared to more modern offerings, they're mediocre at best.

Unfortunately, for a 14" rim there aren't many, if ANY, other options. But if you give up on the 14" rims and come over to the dark side, you'll find these cars can actually do pretty well in the handling department when you start with tires that were designed in the current century.

You need to get an alignment for radial tires. Most shops will punch the year, make and model into their computer and set the alignment to those specs.

Those specs are for a bias ply tire.

I tried this at work (Ford service department). I punched in 1968 Barracuda and it gave the factory specs. Those specs were the same, 40 year old specs, from the 1968 Plymouth service manual. Specs for a bias ply tire.

Absolutely true. If you enter any of our mopars into the computer at an alignment shop you will get the factory alignment specs, which are for bias ply tires. Depending on the shop, you may have a hard time talking them into doing something other than what the computer says. Some places just won't do anything else, even when you tell them those specs were intended for bias ply tires.

Regardless, the factory alignment specs for these cars are a disaster for radial tires. The factory specs call for positive camber and negative caster, which is a flat out nightmare for radial tires. What you want is something along the lines of -.25º to -.5º camber, +3º caster (or as close as you can get to it), and 1/16" to 1/8" toe in. If you need something in writing for the shop, check out this skosh chart. The above specs are a combination of the recommendations here, with the stock power steering you can run as much positive caster as you can get. With the stock upper control arms and bushings that's probably less than +3º, but that will depend on ride height. With offset bushings and stock UCA's +3º is pretty doable, and it will really help with handling and steering. Even the "granny" specs listed below are a huge improvement over the stock specs.

289d4j7.jpg

-
Back