I need some help with an old Dodge truck.

-
My 52 cockshutt 40 has been on 12 volts for 15 years, starter cranks faster. Wont hurt it at all as it has heavier windings to take the high amperage required with 6 volts. My 51 fargo is a different story, i put a new 6 volt starter into it and ran it on 12 volts until i did the v8 swap.

My 52 cockshutt 40 has been on 12 volts for 15 years, starter cranks faster. Wont hurt it at all as it has heavier windings to take the high amperage required with 6 volts. My 51 fargo is a different story, i put a new 6 volt starter into it and ran it on 12 volts until i did the v8 swap.
The other thing about DC motors is that they generate what is called back emf, which simply, reduces current draw, so a 6V motor on 12V doesn't draw necessarily 2X the current The big "problem" (some allege) about high starter voltage is that some will "eat" starter drives a bit faster if they are the "Bendix" type AKA get "thrown in" by rotational force, like early Fords

The other thing about DC motors is that they generate what is called back emf, which simply, reduces current draw, so a 6V motor on 12V doesn't draw necessarily 2X the current The big "problem" (some allege) about high starter voltage is that some will "eat" starter drives a bit faster if they are the "Bendix" type AKA get "thrown in" by rotational force, like early Fords
Yup, i can agree with that. They snap in a lot harder than 6v.

Yep, 6volt starters love 12 volts..... just for not very long.
When my dad brought home his (now mine) 33 Imperial, it had an eight volt battery. Wish I could get another one......
You can still buy 8v batteries at napa.

-
Back