I need your help i am looking at a car tommarow

-

amzchad

Reaction score
Tommarow i am going to look at this car i want it for resale. I plan on looking the whole car over to find out what all is there. But i know nothing about pontiac how do i identify a powerglide what rear it has and anything else that is gonna boost the value of the car up

What do i look for

Thanks

Chad

i am also bringing my high res camera so i will be taking lots of pictures

downsized_0902091905[1].jpg

downsized_0902091905a[1].jpg

The Firechicken is worth less than half of a Camaro. Check the quarters around the wheel wells, trunk floor and trunk filler panel as those are the most likely to be rusty, The Power glide will have a shifter with only 2 gears and TH 400 was only available with a big block in 67, it probably has the original 326.

It looks like it needs paint, top may need replacement after looking closely and will probably need interior work being out here on the west coast. If it's really clean and just needs what's listed you could get $10K to $12K if you sit on it a while.

Just from my 30 years experience and knowing the current market.

Here's a quick visual for transmission identification
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/General_Motors_transmissions#3._Automatic_Transmissions
Note: it is likely to be a Powerglide or a TH350 unless it's been messed with

Since this appears to be a 326 car, the rear is most likely the 8.2" 10-bolt. You may get lucky and find that someone shoved a 12-bolt under it, but I wouldn't count on it.

I've no idea where the value is on these cars. I have a soft spot for the 1st generation Pontiac F-bodies, but I'd rather spend the imaginary money on my Dart these days.

The thing I miss most about tinkering with Pontiac is that they're like legos. Everything fits everything else.

Good luck.

Nice Find!
Looks like it's a repaint. I look forward to seeing more pics. There is a wealth of info available on those old birds, more than for our Mopars. If you get it you will want to subscribe to FirstgenFirebird.org.
C

The #1 thing on those is the rear top shock mounts rip out when air shocks were used or rust set in. I saw many with troubles in the early 80s.

good luck on the re-sale idea-- since it is a gm product & a rag top-- I would doubt that the owner has not at least heard of barret jackson-- or hot rod tv---
Wishing you the best ,Lawrence

my guess at asking priece -- just on the pictures is $7500

-
Back