I phones seriously

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I dont get it, whats all the freakin hype about i phones with the kids these days. My 16 year old is all about the freakin apple with the bite taken out of it. But in the last 2 years she has dropped and broken 5 of these

Is my kid careless, or are these things just cheaply designed. I tell her they need to be in a protective case. And i told her 3 strikes, your out. I refused to pay for phone # 4 and now its broken again. My kid had to pay for a new screen out of her own part time job cash on phone #4 , now its broken again. Somebody bumped the table it was on at school, and it crashed on the floor. I was told it was in a case this time but still broke. So my wife takes her to sprint with my old galaxy 2 to activate for her to use, well so nice of sprint to tell her , she was able to get an upgrade on our sprint account as she was eligible at this time after broken phone #5 or so my wife says, after a $37 activation fee, and $5 a month for the 2 year lease.

I told my wife, i hope the kid picked a samsung android this time. My wife and i have these, in protective cases. We have dropped them etc. No damage no problem.

Then i tell my wife that because she has a part time job, daughter dear needs to cough up $37 for the activation fee thats gonna show up on my bill , and pay me $5 a month on the damn thing. As i said i was done with the phone bullshit after i phone #3 got broken. This started a big **** bomb, because my kid only works maybe 5 hours a week at a crummy part time job.

So, whats the deal with the rotten apple anyway. Kids really love these easily broken pieces of ****. Is it a status symbol or something, i dunno, my galaxy note 4 blows an i phone into the weeds. I mean its super durable, gives an i phone big screen envy, has a stylus, makes it soooo easy to forget my desktop computer.

I guess i have kid who loves junk assed phones because of the logo mark on the case. Though my wife told her, you will be getting the samsung this time.

Anybody want to venture a bet on how long this one lasts my kid before it gets broken? My wife and i have a great track record with our samsungs. Mines a galaxy note 4, hers is a galaxy 5S.

Sounds like i am being shitty, yeah i know. But i have dealt with this stupid **** with her and broken phones to the point where at one time i said when your 18 get your own phone policy, and pay your own phone bill. Am i just being an *** ??

Matt

I dont get it,

Matt
i have posted on, joined this thread/forum with this 3 year old note 2 that works fine after lots of drops and abuse. There is plain bad luck, and carelessness - also love/caring and 4 or 5 phone's is (imho) enabling...

I had said 3 strikes your out, and dug my heals in. I wont spend anymore money out of my pocket on this kids phone habit. I told her i want to be reimbursed for the activation fee, and i want the $5 a month for the upgrade costs. Because it was not about the money, it was about the principle. My wife said, "i will give you the money for the activation fee" my kid will be paying for any damages. She already payed the damages on phone #4 when the screen broke. She had saved money to go to florida, and had to use it to repair her phone. So we are trying to get her to take responsibility.

I've owned iPhones since the first version came out in 2007. Know how many I've broken? ZERO. I carry my phone at work (firefighter), and have even had my phone in the pocket of my uniform under my structural firefighting turnouts while fighting structure fires. It's commonly in my pocket when fighting wildland fires, operating on the scenes of vehicle accidents etc. I've dropped them plenty of times, never broken a single one. I use a simple case on them, nothing fancy, no giant rubber bricks, just a basic slim case like the iskin or spigen. My girlfriend even had one fall out of the tank bag on her motorcycle while she was riding at 25 mph. She found the phone on the side of the road unharmed once she figured out it was missing.

Hell will freeze over before I buy an android based phone or a Microsoft based operating system. Life's too short for that crap.

I've had the iPhone 4, 5 and 6 plus - only one that ever broke was the 6 plus that I didn't put in the case. Get a case, you'll be fine. (The 6's are really slick, so they're easy to drop if you don't have a case.)

I'm still using my 3G phone....

what about getting insurance on the phone? My oldest son is always loosing or damaging his. Insurance helps keep the replacement costs down...

what about getting insurance on the phone?

I'm pretty sure that with the $5/month lease plan they sold her, it comes with insurance. The bad part is there is a $200 deductible to replace a damaged phone. I have a teenage daughter who has broken more iPhones than I care to count. She used her birthday money last month to replace one, and the new one has a cracked screen already. We have raised spoiled entitled children who have no respect for what something costs.

Does your daughter drop her phone or have it in her back pocket of tight fitting blue jeans? You can break them pretty easy just setting down. tmm

Ahh the phone wars...and parenting. No issues with my teenage daughter. Teenage son is a dipshit. 4 phones in three years. I had the same phone for what seemed like an eternity. First one was on me. Subsequent ones on him if there was no upgrade available. This last time it cost him the lease fees and a payment to me. At this point to me for phone and car insurance he pays me $115 a month.

When I was 13 I wanted a 10 speed bike, well mom and dad said OK when you earn the money for it you can buy it. They bought me a Sears 20" like the stingray and the next one was on me. Yes my parents helped me along the way. But kids have to learn.

I mowed grass, shoveled snow, had a paper route and worked as a janitor, when I was 15 bought my 67 Barracuda for $400, I had the cash, but dad paid 1/2, then there was the $200 for the color change and body repair due to it going thru a fence before I got it. Dad paid my car insurance, but I paid for all my gas and repairs, including rebuilding the 273 HIPO out of my sisters barracuda to put in mine.

Kids need to learn that life isn't FREE, they don't get everything they want, when they want it.

My daughter is 33 and was in need of a vehicle, but due to the situation she is in, I sold the wife's van instead of giving it to my daughter. If she would have learned anything she wouldn't be in this situation. Everyone thinks I'm an *** for not helping, YOU CANNOT HELP STUPID, or someone that won't help themselves. If she were to come to me and explain how she was going to help herself I would assisted her. If she continues on the path she is on, she is on her own. Have told the wife, DO NOT GIVE HER ANYTHING. this isn't a warning.

If a teenager cannot be responsible enough for an expensive phone then a simple flip phone is all they need or they need to PAY UP. I still have a flip phone, it is all I need

Glad I'm not raising a teenager now. They surely wouldn't have what most of them have. Try and get a kid to help out with yard work, watching neighbors kids, housework. And a car, PLEASE, they don't need one since they have sir phone and don't know how to talk to there friends.

The kid needs to pay up this time. Other wise they will never learn and turn into
a life vacuum.
Had an IPhone and the ear speaker quit after one year. Purchased a Samsung S5
Active. Twice the phone at half of the cost.

Darryl

I had to work at my dad's video store for $2 /hour (min wage was $3.15 - I was under 16), then sold my old 5 speed Stingray bike in pretty good condition to my friends younger brother to get the last $50 that I needed to upgrade to a new Schwinn Varsity 10 speed with a generator light on it so I could ride at night if needed.

Sorry, but the kid needs to work to purchase their own phone this time. You were WAY too kind in the past. This needs to stop NOW! We are seeing a shift to this entitlement mentality in our young folks, supported by, you guessed it, their parents. Put and keep your foot down on this. Tell them the money tree in the back yard has died!! You are NOT being shitty! How are kids these days going to understand finance/money/work ethics/satisfaction of working to purchase a wanted item if everything is handed to them? They will never grow up, become responsible (and leave the nest) if EVERYTHING is handed to them each time they whine about something? Please grow a spine before it is too late!!

Kids will take great care of their phones when they buy them or replace them with their own money. If they do break it, and can't afford another one, they'll have no phone until they do. They will learn quickly not to lose or damage their phones, and will eagerly invest in and use a protective case to prevent damage from accidental falls.

My 4 kids got a phone when they got a job to pay for it, because if they don't have a job or any outside the house responsibilities they don't need a phone.
The "So I can talk to my friends" excuse isn't near good enough.
And when they did finally get one it was a "pay as you go" that they paid themselves.

They will do whatever it takes to not "drop or loose them" too, because they know what it took to get it.

We were just talking yesterday with our 16 year old Grand daughter that has a Dodge Charger to drive to school, and how she takes unnecessary risks in it because she has never had to walk to school. (or anywhere else for that matter)
But that is up to her parents to deal with. :D

Been driving for 6 months and thinks she can drive better than anybody else on the road.

Ha. :D

It's sounds like you have the same problem a lot of us do.... Your wife's a softy! LOL
In all seriousness, kids do need to learn that things aren't free. My son is only 6, and he thinks when he busts a toy he'll just get another one at the store.

Stop screwing around and make sure she buys the Galaxy active line with a case and armor suit screen protector. (look it up)

im verry happy with this product as is all who use them. just read the instructions before trying to put it on

http://www.armorsuit.com/

http://www.att.com/cellphones/samsung/galaxy-s6-active.html?WT.srch=1&source=ECPS0000000PSM00P

I got the s5 active and it has survived a drop into the loader bucket with out missing a beat. oh yeah ots whater restant (with out a case) dust PROOF and shock restant.

and yes it blows Apple out of the water, apple is (in my opinion ) just an out dated status symbol.

After my last I phone I will never own another apple product.

but im in a **** mood so..

I have a 16 year old son who has had an iPhone for four years now and hasn't done any damage to it at all. He is pretty responsible and always makes sure it is in its case. My 12 year old daughter had hers for a few months and despite being told it needs to be kept in a case thought it wasn't cool. Welling didn't take her long to drop it and crack the screen. I "fixed" it for her by putting packing tape on it and she had to deal with it until she had earned enough money to get it repaired. Needless to say it doesn't leave the case anymore. Not to say a case is the ultimate protection but it does help. I had a 4s through work for several years and constantly drop it while working. One day it fell Just right and hit a corner that went right in the opening of the camera lens and shattered it. Kids can surely push you but I think you are right In holding her responsible.

Maybe look at the 6... j/k

(warning strong language)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70QiqZg9cXo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70QiqZg9cXo[/ame]

-
Back