I screwed up...torsion bar suggestions pls

-

qwk dust

Reaction score
Well, when we were taking the motor out several weeks ago we had to cut the drivers side exhaust because the manifold to exhaust bolts were frozen. Of course my nephew hit the torsion bar with the cut off wheel. (murphys law you know). I just saw the nick while he was scraping the undercarriage. Anyway, there is clearly a stress riser for a fracture there now.](*,)

The car is an original 318 a/c car. We are going to keep it a small block car for some street but mostly drag racing. Since I have to replace the torsion bars what are the best size bars to use. We want good weight transfer but don't want a bouncy car. 3.90 rear with XHD leafs, adjustable pinion snubber, 50/50 rear and 90/10 adjustable shocks if it matters. Thanks for the suggestions!

i thought guys like to run slant six bars for drag racing. you should be able to find a set of those in a junk yard for cheap. i dont know if it will be bouncy though.

try the 810 bars...... summit sells them ....great wieght transfer......not to street friendly......good luck......

thanks folks. Which ones are the 810s? Will they be too bouncy for street driving? Are they the same as the /6 set? What will I gain/lose from just staying with the stock size that came with the car? I need a little more input on sizes and effects of each before I make a decision on which ones to buy. thanks.. I probably should post this in the racer forum as well.

The .810 bars will be soft, bouncy and the car will lean like a sailboat in a hurricane going around curves. These are softer than /6 bars and will "wind up" and store energy, helping the nose to rise

Your car had .870 bars from the factory, and I would recommend the same if you plan on ANY street driving. Add a sway bar for handling.

The .810 bars would be a strip only setup.

I've got a set of stock slant bars - free if you pay the postage.

Wow Dartman, that is a hard offer to beat.. Sent a PM

-
Back