I smell like gas after driving!

-

Richard McLaughlin

1974 Duster 340
Reaction score
Ok,
1973 340 with headers.
If I drive with my windows down you can smell gas pretty bad, you even smell like gas after driving.
If the windows are up, there is no issue.
Thanks!
Richard

mines always been that way. the fuel cell in the trunk dont help but shouldn't matter when driving

Ummmm, drive with the windows up???

Check fuel fittings for leaks, loosen worm clamps, carb leaking, fuel pump leaking or loose fittings.

Just dont drive it. It's an old car with no vapor reclamation system. Maybe buy a new Toyota?

Mine smells like exhaust not raw fuel, always has with 4bbl, with 6 pack I even have a A/F gauge no mater where it's set lean or rich still get the smell. Full exhaust out the rear bumper, no holes in floor, trunk weatherstrip seems fine . I don't know!!!

My fuel filler was rusted through at the gasket. With the windows down it would create a vacuum in the car and pull fumes in. With Windows up and wing windows open, no smell.

I'd look under hood VERY thoroughly. flames should only be painted on.

Have you looked at the seals on your fuel tanks and the vent line? Does it do it more with a full tank?

That is not normal and demands attention.
I am assuming you're talking raw gas smell. You are gonna have to hunt it down, starting with external leaks. I have experienced this with vapors coming in through the cowl. You go look for it and you will find it. .You have to.
Is the factory cowl seal in place at the back underside of the hood?
Do you have the stock air filter house on the carb?
Is the carbon-canister hooked up and functioning?
Check the entire supply line systems but especially the hi-pressure section from the pump to the carb.
Are there other driveability issues?

Last edited:
CHECK REPLACE ALL if any rubber gas lines. tighten but not over tighten will go bad fast.

mine had small leak after the fuel pump on hose.
caught quick (luckily)

I had a Duster back in the day. Kept smelling gas. Dropped the gas tank, and it had a hole in the top of the tank with a cork stuck in it. I don't think that is your issue, but check everything. It's not safe. I have 3 classic cars, and none smell like that.

-
Back