I think I finally need tailpipes. Options?

-

Sublime69

Reaction score
Ive never had tailpipes on my car. Now i have a baby on the way and I dont want the kid to go deaf and smell like exhaust. What are my options? Does anyone make just a tailpipe kit?

I need 3" too.

Thanks

Yeah I saw those. Doesn't $240 seem expensive tho for not a lot of pipe?

I had 2 1/2 tailpipes bent up for me at a local custom exhaust shop for $140 installed

HeartThrob may have them in 3". They make the exhaust kits for Jegs and Summit.

Off the topic are those Torque Thrust SL's on you car?

Ok ill look into that. Thanks

They are boyd coddington smoothie 2's

Are your springs inboarded? 3 inch tailpipes will be tight if so. 2.5 inch pipes won't hurt your setup at all. Mandrel bent pipes that fit very nice are worth something, no?

Yeah I saw those. Doesn't $240 seem expensive tho for not a lot of pipe?

Yep, since I got 10 feet of aluminized 2.5 for 20 bucks from a muffler shop. :D

Bends not included of course.

Aren't you going to have issue's with 3 inch going over the rear?

Yeah I'm not sure. I think ill take it to a muffler shop and see if they will bend something up for me.

Here is what im working with as far as room goes. Might have to relocate my fuel pump.

Attachments

• Dart 008.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 291
Go down to the local big truck parts supplier and buy your 3" mandrel bends for about $20 a pop. They have the tubing too.....

Yeah I'm not sure. I think ill take it to a muffler shop and see if they will bend something up for me.

Here is what im working with as far as room goes. Might have to relocate my fuel pump.

Looks like you will, or I don't see how it could be run through there.
You could do what I did and exit right in front of the rear tires. :D
It's quieter than under the car.

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 273
No need for fuel pump relocation. Have the tail pipes run like a 68-72 Nova. Run them over the axle, then turn and go between the the leaf springs and out right under the quarters. Looks better that way too. I think they look stupid as hell with the pipes stickin out the back.

Like this.

Attachments

• NOVA.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 299
Ok thanks guys! Yeah I want to keep them hidden under the quarter anyways.

IMO, that's THE absolute best look for muscle car tail pipes. I love how it looks. Always have. Now I want another Nova again. lol

thats quite an uphill climb for a fuel line no? i don't know if i have seen a sump mounted that low! I imagine it's working fine if you aren't having any drain back or cavitation issues...but thats against every fuel system article i have ever seen :???:lol

The sump is supposed to be at the lowest part of the tank. It's an Aeromotive a1000, not an issue what so ever. Been on the car for 9 years.

IMHO, you need 2 more doors and half as much motor, with a nice cushy suspension.heehee

no way, my kids LOVE riding in the duster
and there is nothing that will put a baby to sleep better then the gentle rumble of a V8
(get that V8 past idle and they might wake up though)

as far as getting 3 inch pipe over the axle, didn't someone post an oval pipe to go over the axle once?

(interesting article on a brand X car with oval piping found here) http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1301sr-spintech-oval-tube-exhaust-systems/

No need for fuel pump relocation. Have the tail pipes run like a 68-72 Nova. Run them over the axle, then turn and go between the the leaf springs and out right under the quarters. Looks better that way too. I think they look stupid as hell with the pipes stickin out the back.

Like this.

X2 my best friend in high school ran his exhaust on his 65 mustang that way, and it sounded great, and did not fume.

3 inch pipes over the axle are doable. I have 3" pipes out the rear with mini tubs and inboarded springs. It wasn't easy, but it worked. The pipes go up over the axle while going outboard as well, then they go rearward under the frame, between the leafs and frame, then back inboard once they make it past the gas tanks.

I currently have them off the vehicle since I am changing mufflers, otherwise I would post pics.

I currently have them off the vehicle since I am changing mufflers, otherwise I would post pics.

better yet, your like what, 3 hours from the OP?
he might be interested in having a shop copy yours and make a road trip out of it :burnout:

better yet, your like what, 3 hours from the OP?
he might be interested in having a shop copy yours and make a road trip out of it :burnout:

Probably about 5 hours, he's welcome to come look at them on the bench, but I don't know if there is any difference between the two cars.

-
Back