I think I fried my mig welder

-
I'm thinking you have lost a good ground. Try a spot closer to the ground, right next to it.
That's it for me tonight folks, time to hit the sack...
C

I hope it's somethin simple. But he said it sparks. If it sparks that would not be a tripped breaker I do not believe. A tripped breaker would mean NO power whatsoever....at least that's what I would think.

Yep I didn't read thread carefully enough tripped overload = no power.

cuda guy look for my PM. If you have time to call me during the day tomorrow i will wlak you through getting it fixed.

After you get it fixed, please post what the fix was for our benefit!
C

I doubt you "toasted" either the transformer or the reluctor. You would SMELL them, and problaby "let all the smoke out."

yep, just over heated and shut off they do..
especially if you use a long extension cord....they shut off for a minute.

I have the lincoln 125 weld pack, been using it for a year and a half with no issues once I bought a 6 gauge extension cord from harbor freight, thing works really good for what it is.

I can't see buying any lincoln or miller below the Lincoln 125 unit, unless all you ever weld up is wheel barrows.

If you need something lower than a 135 just learn how to gas weld. You can get a torch/weld kit with regulators at harbor freight for around $80 and it is comparable to Victor. Then just go buy some used tanks and your up and running.

If you need something lower than a 135 just learn how to gas weld. You can get a torch/weld kit with regulators at harbor freight for around $80 and it is comparable to Victor. Then just go buy some used tanks and your up and running.

In my area it seems that gas welding is a lost art.

Yep I didn't read thread carefully enough tripped overload = no power.

Well you know, as much as they change the design of stuff all the time, there's really no tellin what it is. It might be a 50 cent diode.

It's a dieing art pretty much everywhere.:angry7:

That's true. I still remember the old guy who taught me how to do it. He handed me the torch and a rod....I was ten or eleven I think and he says "all you're doin is meltin three pieces of metal together. The two pieces you're weldin together and the rod, that's all there is to it." To this day, that's the best dead nuts on explanation I've ever heard. I also brazed that exhaust pipe right together, too. it wasn't pretty, but I did it. I sure miss that old dude. He was the coolest. But because of him, I can braze like a ****.

It's a dieing art pretty much everywhere.:angry7:

...and you know, I think one reason that is....insurance regulations. cause when your insurance company finds out you got a gas weldin outfit they jack the rates up on you.

I'm an old coot. I still have the tanks and rods. Exhaust? just braise it. All you have to do is minimal cleaning first, hell, even use a coat hanger for filler. The heat takes off the lacquer coat on the hanger. The bronze rod with flux is so much nicer, though.
Need to weld cast iron? The torch, red hot, then a high nickel rod on the stick welder.
Like, on a rusty, thin pos header; mig burns. Wave the torch, get it hot, and braze it.
Finally getting sanding done on my 70; it was rear ended in 71. I see that they brazed in the new tail panel, no warpage. Wish I knew that trick.

Sorry, that was a hijack. Try this: put a piece of metal in the ground clamp, and try to put a bead on it. No go; welder bad.

Go tit working today, I guess there was a loose wire in the unit for the factory and main ground tightened it and it works great again.

Thanks to everyone for there help.

Rick

Good to hear your up and welding....Ive got a Miller 175 wire feed....love love love it..We have a couple welding supply stores here who mainly push Millers,not a problem to get them fixed.

Go tit working today, I guess there was a loose wire in the unit for the factory and main ground tightened it and it works great again.

Rick
Great to hear you got it fixed.

BEFORE you run out and buy another welder,open up the case.Blow it out and look at all the connections. Clean them if dirty and Then try it again. Pay close attention to the ground.

Of course it might be fried. Just make sure.

OOOPS I see you found the issue. Means I should really read the whole post first,lol!

Rick

'S always great when tits work!!!!!. Glad to hear you found it.

Glad your up and running.Thing to remember is if you attach an argon tank,you have to reverse the connections,positive,negative to weld with gas.I had to do this with my Lincoln 180.I,ve had zero problems,it,s a good welder.:cheers:

Because after mopars, tits are always worth talking about

My two favorite things to look at & work on...
C

-
Back