I think I have become a Mopar snob

-
Had two friends in my garage Saturday night. Neither is mechanically inclined, but both love to work on stuff. I spent the night teaching one how to rebuild a carb and the other how to fabricate a support bracket using scraps. Both know more today, than they did Saturday. Instead of hating on those who know less than you, try teaching them something.

I know my friends are glad I helped them, rather than berate them.

When asked if I did a "frame off resto" on my Dart, I simply say it was a ground up complete restoration. That it was completely disassembled and rebuilt. Like was said earlier, many guys out there only think "frame off" when a car has been completely redone, not understanding the meaning behind unibody and a full separate frame. It only gets uncomfortable when the dipstick who doesn't have a car at the show or even own one, begins to start rattling off all the things about your car that he says are incorrect. I just look at them and ask them where their car is and wait for the bs to start before I walk away to go look at some other cars. Guess it's always been like that at the shows from what I've heard others say. All part of the hobby I guess.

No you weren't a snob..but I just have to laugh at these guys that buy cars and don't have a clue what has been done to them..example more then once asked a few owners what was done to the engine?..what cam? ect..they didn't have a clue,that's when I walk away laughing..

When asked if I did a "frame off resto" on my Dart, I simply say it was a ground up complete restoration. That it was completely disassembled and rebuilt. Like was said earlier, many guys out there only think "frame off" when a car has been completely redone, not understanding the meaning behind unibody and a full separate frame. It only gets uncomfortable when the dipstick who doesn't have a car at the show or even own one, begins to start rattling off all the things about your car that he says are incorrect. I just look at them and ask them where their car is and wait for the bs to start before I walk away to go look at some other cars. Guess it's always been like that at the shows from what I've heard others say. All part of the hobby I guess.
What you said about someone telling you what's incorrect on your car annoys me also. It seems like the purists look down on any car that's not 100% correct and feel the need to say something. I don't need you telling me my wiper motor is the wrong color, or I have the wrong valve covers. Go suck an egg.

I guess I just don't understand why some people are so quick to judge others? Is it arrogance?, being a snob?, or just being a jerk? I've seen all kinds in my years. You don't know what other people's situation is, or why they do what they do.

I have a '69 Charger SE that is going through having the body put back together. I don't have the experience, or the proper tools (frame rack) to get everything back to straight and true. Nor do I have the skills to do the quality of paint job I expect. I know every nut and bolt in that car and tell you what pretty much each part is, but I'm having someone else do the body and paint. Does that make me less of a Mopar fan?

I am 50 years old and have been working on cars my whole life, but I just bought my '67 Barracuda from someone that started it as a project and decided they couldn't finish it. The previous owner put a 400 in it, but couldn't tell me what all was done to it. I checked it out and everything checked out. He had the 833 pulled out because he said it was making noise. I have since gone through the transmission and reinstalled in with all new clutch parts (Thanks Brewer's Performance!), upgraded the old /6 torsion bars, rebuilt the whole front suspension (Thanks Firm Feel!).

Am I less of a "Mopar Fan" because I can't tell you what all was done to the motor? Am I suppose to pull the whole motor apart to find out what cam the guy installed, or what machining he did to the heads or block.

Just because someone hasn't done all the work themselves, or chose to buy something that was mid-project or even fully complete, doesn't mean they enjoy the car any less. There is a whole network of shops out there that do nothing but fulfill dreams for people that either aren't capable, or don't have time to build their own cars.

Personally,... I get tired of people nitpicking over terminologies like "Frame Off" or whether a car was "restored" or not because it had a few aftermarket parts on it. Don't get me wrong,... I appreciate those who have the patience and skill to do every aspect themselves, but I also appreciate those others that spend their hard earned money to have someone build it for them because as there is more money in the industry, parts manufacturers will continue to make more of the parts we need to keep our cars on the road.

Stepping off the soapbox now! :)

I can understand where you are coming from, but I disassembled my original car, decided it was not worth repairing due to tons of structural rust issues, then bought a restored, painted body from a way drier climate where rust issues are not so prevalent so I could make 1 car from the 2. I'm not starting the VIN swap argument here cause I didn't do that. My point is, I have never done body work and paint, but I had my cars almost completely apart to make the 1 car from the 2. So am I not as much of an enthusiast since I didn't do it all myself? I don't think so. Had I tried to redo that old body myself, I would still be 3 years off from completion instead of enjoying my car.

Words are just words. My car is restored to me. I say that cause it's not driving around with rotted out floor pans, shaky old worn out suspension and stuff falling through the holes where the trunk drop offs used to be.. It's not a resto-mod to me, however, it has upgrades to the suspension and frame to make it handle 100 times better than a stock 74 Duster ever did. The console is original style, but not original to the car. The Buckets are not original, but I say way more comfortable than any originals I have sat in. It's just my car, a driver! It's a 1 of 1 to me because it's the only 74 Duster ever "fixed up" in my garage by me and my kids.

I understand how you may feel like a snob, but what you described is not a snob in my opinion. You are rightfully proud of you accomplishments with your car, as am I. And unless that guy who just bought that car is talking down to you, trying to be a snob himself, then "What ever!"

I love cars! Primarily I'm a Mopar guy, and I would not put the time and effort into any other car like I would for a Mopar. But I do appreciate lot's of other cars, even my young cousin's Supra with a Turbo the size of a toilet is cool. I just hope we can appreciate them for what they are, not necessarily who paid for them to get that way.

I will stop rambling now.

Cley

I bought my car but I know what is in the engine etc. I am also learning about it's systems and how things work. Last year I figured out a stalling issue that developed and fixed it myself, for example. I know my limitations, though. What work I do on it depends on how much it'll cost me to fix it if I really screw it up.

Had two friends in my garage Saturday night. Neither is mechanically inclined, but both love to work on stuff. I spent the night teaching one how to rebuild a carb and the other how to fabricate a support bracket using scraps. Both know more today, than they did Saturday. Instead of hating on those who know less than you, try teaching them something.

I know my friends are glad I helped them, rather than berate them.
Wish I had a friend like you nearby. Most of mine are not very mechanically inclined.

No you weren't a snob..but I just have to laugh at these guys that buy cars and don't have a clue what has been done to them..example more then once asked a few owners what was done to the engine?..what cam? ect..they didn't have a clue,that's when I walk away laughing..

So you laugh at a guy that bought his dream car and the engine in that car was built by someone reputable but the prior owner never kept the paper work? Or maybe the car just runs fine and he doesn't care what cam is in it. It fires up and he takes his kids out for a cruise and ice cream.

So you laugh at a guy that bought his dream car and the engine in that car was built by someone reputable but the prior owner never kept the paper work? Or maybe the car just runs fine and he doesn't care what cam is in it. It fires up and he takes his kids out for a cruise and ice cream.

Thats right..there isn't ONE thing I don't know about what is in my car..and any that I bought in the past I wanted to see ALL the paperwork..geez.I think I'll buy a $30k car and not know anything/everything about it AIN'T never happening...

..this hobby has a million faces.Some want power,some want paint and jewelry,some want everything original,some want modern handling and braking yada..yada.It's all good!
but...there is a certain amount of pleasure you can only get by restoring,repairing,tuning and working on a car and those guys get much more out of the hobby!

eh - I took the engine out of mine and took it to the machine shop for some freshening up two years ago - hell, I picked out the cam - but can I tell you right now exactly what it is? nope, that was 2 years ago.. ...it's "smaller" than what was in there before, but I can't recite the specs. I didn't build the car and I am ok with that, it's an X drag race car that I am working to make a "pro-street" machine out of. On the other hand, I have been into A bodies for a LONG time and have built a couple (though I never had the $$ or time to get them where I wanted before either selling them or crashing them) so I can, do and will work on it and fix ANYTHING that gets F-ed up. We're all into the hobby the way WE want to be.

Thats right..there isn't ONE thing I don't know about what is in my car..and any that I bought in the past I wanted to see ALL the paperwork..geez.I think I'll buy a $30k car and not know anything/everything about it AIN'T never happening...

I know every detail about my dart, and the previous one. That's me. Not everyone. I'm not going to knock the guy who wants a car and doesn't build it from scratch himself. Most guys can't do a car from scratch. They don't have the time, the place, the knowhow or physical ability etc. Ex. My friend that wanted a corvette his whole life and bought a 65 vette when he retired.

I've seen very few owner completed cars ever. Most were sent out for paint and the engines and trans built elsewhere as well. The few I've seen where the owner actually did it all. Well, it was pretty obvious...

For me, after having done a ground up resto. I'll probably, never say never, do another one. I don't have that kind of time anymore. I'll get something that is closer to what I want and build it from there.

If I were to knock a guy, it would be a guy who buys a car done and says he did it himself. Seen that a few times.

Yea, a little inaccurate.
Don't get your rocks off on a frame off.

I've worked on airplanes and cars.
Neither can be fun sometimes.
Laying on your back, crouching under an engine, crawling on your knees, hot, cold, Skydrol burn, fiberglass..

I like being able to the car was built by me and not bought.
Did that today at the Post Office.
Funny the reactions.
But like a dentist told me when he was sending me to the endodontist for root canal.
I asked if he wasn't good enough to do a root canal.
"I'm good enough to know what I can't do".
So I don't build engines.
Takes tools, time and practice to do that right.
I'm running out of time.
But still not paying to have my cars worked on.

What you said about someone telling you what's incorrect on your car annoys me also. It seems like the purists look down on any car that's not 100% correct and feel the need to say something. I don't need you telling me my wiper motor is the wrong color, or I have the wrong valve covers. Go suck an egg.

Oh yea, these guys are bad and populate any car show for any make. They are happy to point out flaws in your car to somehow redeem themselves for spending a pile of cash on a complete resto. GTO snobs are especially vile.

I tried to do bodywork only once in my life and it did not go very well so there are definitely things I will have no choice but to pay a professional. I am willing to work on most anything else with my car but the paint and bodywork when/if that day ever comes, it will be done right the first time. I really struck a nerve starting this thread. Everyone has there opinions, and strong ones at that. I have a pretty good set of tools that I inherited from my brother in law.....I have a 1/2 of a 2 car garage filled with my 70 340 Duster. I read a lot of great information online and post numerous questions to my fellow FABO members. I get a great feeling of accomplishment when I tackle a job on my car and complete that job.
I could've saved and saved for years until I had enough to buy a turn key car but where the hell would the fun be in that other than driving it and trying to explain all about the car I had nothing to do with making it that way....hahaha....

Last edited:
If I were to knock a guy, it would be a guy who buys a car done and says he did it himself. Seen that a few times.

Couldn't agree with you more Rocco! Those are the guys I get irritated by. Can't stand it when people take credit for other people's work as their own. I also get irritated by the guys that come around and nitpick people's cars, whether they know what they are talking about or not. There's nothing more frustrating than someone slaving away on their car, and taking pride in how it turned out, only to have someone ridicule them for this or that, or point out everything they did wrong. Heck,... I think I'd rather deal with the people that don't know what they are talking about than the ones that do and just like to belittle other people's hard work.

I have no issue with the people that don't know every detail or how to do it, but want a nice car. I'm not going to bad mouth them or make fun of them for missing out on the self-pride of doing it themselves.

ir3333 said above that there is nothing like the pleasure of doing it yourself and I agree whole heartedly with that. The problem is that frustration overcomes pleasure when people don't know how to do things and get in way over their head. That's why we see so many project cars for sale in the classifieds.

Or tell them it will eat theirs alive !

I used to make my living building other people's dreams.

As such I have thousands of dollars in tools and equipment and decades of accumulated experience to do so. Not everyone who does this as a hobby can say the same. Some are unwilling to make that same investment, knowing they'll use those tools once and never again, others are wanting their dream done right the first time or are afraid of ******* it up so bad it'll be junk again in no time, so they turn to others with the experience.

Take the 70 year old school teacher who actually had the experience but had neither the time, the tools, or the space.

The 55 year old businessman who had his dad's Pontiac. His work took him out of town a lot. He would have loved to do it on his own, but didn't have the time, nor the time to learn. And considering it was his dad's car, it held a lot of sentimental value that he was afraid he would mess up.

The 50 year old engineer who adored his '65 T-bird, but realized he'd never be able to get the body and paint to a level of perfection that he wanted.

I'd say without knowing the particular circumstances and a bit of overheard conversation you're quick to judge something you know nothing about.

So this guy built a chevelle ss clone. Finished it, drove it to a car show and some accountant gave him 40 grand for it. I bet the accountant doesent have a clue.
Honestly, i could go a couple directions, if i had a huge windfall, i would want to keep building my cars, but i wouldnt be fiddling around with the bodywork/paint. I would buy a built driveline.

The ones that get my goat are trailered to a car show,back on trailer and back home under glass again. Drivers are the real cars to me.

My neighbour lost his harley in a garage fire last year. Whe he got his replacement in june ,today it has near 4000 km’s on it.

Dude down the road trailers his bike to near somewhere to ride. 1500 feet of gravel road and doesent like to drive it because it takes too long to clean. 5 or 6 years old and it has maybe 2000 kms on it.
0818A258-83B2-4740-B15A-51C8E1BD7A3D.jpeg

to me the "mopar snob" refers to the guy at the show that is so full of himself and the car he has there. we have seen them. for those types, everything evolves around them and their "prize" car and if they do not win that $5 plastic trophy, well...... look out world! to them everyone else and their car is below them and his car no matter....
I have no problem with the guy that has to pay someone to work on their car as long as the guy truly loves the car, the hobby, and probably has that deep down desire to able to actually work on his car!!! and it is great for someone to be able to by a "done" car. sure can save some hard work and time and many times $$$$ !!!!!
but for me the satisfaction of fixing something on my car is priceless!!!

I agree with this statement . I can appreciate both side as I've built my own and paid a lot of $$$ to have a professional restoration. I am not by trade a mechanic , body man nor painter and my mechanical ability ( God knows I've tried) cannot compare to a good professional . That being said I had to work twice as hard at my regular job in order to afford a professional restoration. There may be a greater satisfaction doing with your own hands , but that applies to anything from building one's car to painting the house or renovating the bathroom etc. It all comes down to one's personal abilities to achieve their goal and if they need to hire a professional to get it done so be it. I have had the pleasure of meeting true Moparians some with over the top restorations, some with good old beaters , some in between and even some currently without a Mopar , but their love for Mopars and the hobby is what makes them a true Moparian , not the flashy paint jobs or lack there of , nor the size of their wallets.

One last thing to add, the guys that take their cars to shows, whether trailered or driven are willing to share the car with the general public. They cant be all that snobby. Otherwise they would be keeping it to themselves.
Imagine, people wanting to look at your car. The nerve....

-
Back