I THINK I KILLED THE 340

-
The '71 340 in my car has been rebuilt but is still standard bore (with a little wear) and I assume standard deck height. I found my pistons are above deck .025-.033" but pretty consistent on each bank. I wanted to put a set of small chamber aluminum heads on but going from J-heads to aluminum would require a .065-.070" Cometic gasket, or machining the tops of the pistons or opening the heads up. The Cometic gasket is the EASY button, no doubt. My build plan has changed and I'll be going .030" over but I found a set of L-2316 +.030 pretty cheap which should end up at about the same place above deck if I understand correctly, so the Cometic is still likely going to be the solution. I may mock it up and trim the pistons back to flat deck and then have it all re-balanced, but i can do the piston machining myself to save some cost and avoid custom pistons while maintaining the compression I hope to achieve. Either way, I would have no hesitation running the thicker Cometic as long as the deck surface was correct for the design.
Im leaning towards a .060 thick gasket and machining the pistons down .020. I too have the means to do it myself. In theory It should give me .040 quench. Im only finding readily available gaskets in a 4.080 bore.

Before I did anything, I'd take it apart if it's together and take the measurements with clay as outlined. You don't really know what you have unless you measure. I've had cases where I "thought" this and I "thought" that and I was dead wrong. Then I measured. lol
Thats why I did the mock up. Cant use clay until I figure out where the heads will sit.

Im leaning towards a .060 thick gasket and machining the pistons down .020. I too have the means to do it myself. In theory It should give me .040 quench. Im only finding readily available gaskets in a 4.080 bore.
Standard bore right? Cometic has a .060 thick gasket with 4.040 bore.

Here is the deal. I bought a 73 Dart Sport 340 car. It has a 69 340 in it with X heads. I had a bent valve and other issues that needed addressing so I took it out. I decided to "freshen it up". I took it out and apart. Found bent intake valve and heads needed rebuilding. I decided I would put a set of closed chambered aluminums on and set the quench to .040 with gaskets and if needed crown machining. The deck didn't look so good, very grainy, so I sent it out for decking. Crank was .020 under on the mains and .030 under on the rods and looked nice. Home polished it miked it, good to go, pistons are .030 over and look great even the timing chain was tight. I had one odd ball rod so I bought a set of "H" beams in stock length. I was told the block was twisted and a special fixture was needed to deck it properly. I told him its the only block I have so make it right. When I picked it up I asked how much was removed. His reply was which end? I had a sinking feeling... Fast forward to today. I was doing my mock up to see where I stood to get the quench I was after. I measured the piston to deck before I disassembled it. It was +.018.

Now the problem. After carefully measuring the deck and triple checking it and inline with the wrist pin, checking the rock, I think I'm screwed. I am way out of the hole now (see pics). With a .040 gasket I would need to remove .040 off the top of the pistons. Seems like to much. Then I may have a problem with the valve pockets. I already own the heads so... Any ideas you motor heads could throw my way would be REALLY appreciated. I don't want to source a another block. But the car must live on. (I soda blast the top of one of the pistons)

View attachment 1716211531

View attachment 1716211532

View attachment 1716211533

Couple things. As mentioned a thicker head gasket could be your answer.

As to your question how much was the block cut. It isn't really the right question.

Your machinist is right that the twisted block would require taking more off one end than the other to bring the deck in parallel to the crank. Likely needed more of one side of the deck than the other as well if twisted.

The real question is what is the new deck height? You need this measured from the crank centerline. I wouldn't assume the guy did anything wrong unless that measurement is off between ends of the same bank or from one bank to another.

I would also want to know why the positive deck height of the pistons was higher on some cylinders than others. Did your machinist assemble the short block or did you? Who measured the rod length and piston compression height? Was the crank indexed? I would suggest swapping a couple piston and rod assemblies from the same side IE the .040 proud one for a .034 proud one to see if that would bring the heights closer together. Entirely possible that tolerance stack of parts could be the difference and not anything that the machinist did wrong.

Another possible solution would be to run a set of the 340 edelbrock heads that have a chamber relief cut.

If you are going to have to cut pistons for valve clearance anyway you might want to shop for pistons instead at that point. Get a newer lighter piston with narrower rings rather than spending money on the old used TRW heavy pistons you have to cut deck height and valve clearance.

Couple things. As mentioned a thicker head gasket could be your answer.

As to your question how much was the block cut. It isn't really the right question.

Your machinist is right that the twisted block would require taking more off one end than the other to bring the deck in parallel to the crank. Likely needed more of one side of the deck than the other as well if twisted.

The real question is what is the new deck height? You need this measured from the crank centerline. I wouldn't assume the guy did anything wrong unless that measurement is off between ends of the same bank or from one bank to another.

I would also want to know why the positive deck height of the pistons was higher on some cylinders than others. Did your machinist assemble the short block or did you? Who measured the rod length and piston compression height? Was the crank indexed? I would suggest swapping a couple piston and rod assemblies from the same side IE the .040 proud one for a .034 proud one to see if that would bring the heights closer together. Entirely possible that tolerance stack of parts could be the difference and not anything that the machinist did wrong.

Another possible solution would be to run a set of the 340 edelbrock heads that have a chamber relief cut.

If you are going to have to cut pistons for valve clearance anyway you might want to shop for pistons instead at that point. Get a newer lighter piston with narrower rings rather than spending money on the old used TRW heavy pistons you have to cut deck height and valve clearance.
I assembled it for a mock up (no rings or piston clips installed yet) for checking bearing clearances and piston height. The rods are new. I know they still need to be checked. I am going to do some swapping and rechecking in the next hour. I measured the the piston to deck height myself inline with the pin and checking piston rock. Crank was not indexed. Stock forged. I am assuming based on the difference between the side to side more was taken off one side. I should be able to verify that by swapping some around. I understand production tolerances vary some. I can cut the tops myself at work. The valve relief dims are my bigger concern if I do this. You are correct about different pistons. What I have is time and a bit of knowledge, which is growing by the hour thanks to you guys. Money is the bigger issue if I have to spend I guess Ill have to. I already have the SM closed chambered heads. I was expecting such a large change in height. The reason I had it decked was for a good sealing surface for the new heads. It was a bit rough.

Any clue what the deck height is? I would no do nubs without knowing actual deck height.

I'm running MLS gaskets on a used block with new heads and no issues.
I don't know how they spec the bores though. Mine was advertised much smaller than the actual bore of the Gasket measured, so if that's a critical thing for you I'd call the Mfg for specs. If I had to guess, they spec the bore by what the block is bored to, not always what the Gasket measures, but that probably varies by Gasket Mfg too.

Here is the deal. I bought a 73 Dart Sport 340 car. It has a 69 340 in it with X heads. I had a bent valve and other issues that needed addressing so I took it out. I decided to "freshen it up". I took it out and apart. Found bent intake valve and heads needed rebuilding. I decided I would put a set of closed chambered aluminums on and set the quench to .040 with gaskets and if needed crown machining. The deck didn't look so good, very grainy, so I sent it out for decking. Crank was .020 under on the mains and .030 under on the rods and looked nice. Home polished it miked it, good to go, pistons are .030 over and look great even the timing chain was tight. I had one odd ball rod so I bought a set of "H" beams in stock length. I was told the block was twisted and a special fixture was needed to deck it properly. I told him its the only block I have so make it right. When I picked it up I asked how much was removed. His reply was which end? I had a sinking feeling... Fast forward to today. I was doing my mock up to see where I stood to get the quench I was after. I measured the piston to deck before I disassembled it. It was +.018.

Now the problem. After carefully measuring the deck and triple checking it and inline with the wrist pin, checking the rock, I think I'm screwed. I am way out of the hole now (see pics). With a .040 gasket I would need to remove .040 off the top of the pistons. Seems like to much. Then I may have a problem with the valve pockets. I already own the heads so... Any ideas you motor heads could throw my way would be REALLY appreciated. I don't want to source a another block. But the car must live on. (I soda blast the top of one of the pistons)

View attachment 1716211531

View attachment 1716211532

View attachment 1716211533
Mock it up with the X heads. Are they virgins or have they been ported? I realise you have a set of alloy heads but they obviously won't work with those pistons. Depending on the chamber on the alloy heads, the piston domes may not play well with them anyway. You might be better off with a set of zero deck flat tops with those alum. heads.

If you machine the pistons down .020 and use a .060 thick gasket you lose .020 valve clearance.
If you use an .080 thick gasket and leave the pistons alone you keep that extra .020 of valve clearance in case you need it later.

Both ways end up with same piston to head clearance, and both are equally correct procedures. But thicker gaskets cost about the same as thinner ones, so using the thicker gaskets is cheaper and easier. Both ways need the gasket ordered larger than block bore diameter. A 4.04 bore block uses 4.07 or larger gasket bore. The gaskets are actual size, not correct size for the diameter listed. A 4.04 gasket will likely overhang a 4.04 cylinder bore.

Call these guys and discuss the gaskets. They are a Cometic dealer and will help you get what you need.
FBO Ignition - Home of the HRR688

I assembled it for a mock up (no rings or piston clips installed yet) for checking bearing clearances and piston height. The rods are new. I know they still need to be checked. I am going to do some swapping and rechecking in the next hour. I measured the the piston to deck height myself inline with the pin and checking piston rock. Crank was not indexed. Stock forged. I am assuming based on the difference between the side to side more was taken off one side. I should be able to verify that by swapping some around. I understand production tolerances vary some. I can cut the tops myself at work. The valve relief dims are my bigger concern if I do this. You are correct about different pistons. What I have is time and a bit of knowledge, which is growing by the hour thanks to you guys. Money is the bigger issue if I have to spend I guess Ill have to. I already have the SM closed chambered heads. I was expecting such a large change in height. The reason I had it decked was for a good sealing surface for the new heads. It was a bit rough.
If money is the primary concern then just optimize what you have for sure. There were a lot of production 340s put out there that are further off speck than what you have.

I'd swap holes with that 040 proud piston and rod combo and see if you can get it close to the rest, get the heads and deck finished for cometic gaskets and let her rip.

If money is the primary concern then just optimize what you have for sure. There were a lot of production 340s put out there that are further off speck than what you have.

I'd swap holes with that 040 proud piston and rod combo and see if you can get it close to the rest, get the heads and deck finished for cometic gaskets and let her rip.
So many Reponses, I appreciate it. Here is what I have decided to do. I'm going to machine the pistons down to zero deck, which is the amount above for each piston. This should give me a balanced power stroke for each hole, I would think. Use a MAHLE / CLEVITE 3536SG head gasket which should provide the desired .040 quench I was after. Once I have the bottom end squared away I will call Hughes Engines, give them the specs (car and engine) and see what they recommend for a cam. If V/P clearance is an issue once I choose a cam, I will use Lindy Tools Company Piston Fly Cutters to deal with it. Then balance, after I determine the bob weight needed. I do understand the rotating weight vs reciprocating weight. I did swap the #2 and the #8. No significant change in height. Thoughts?

20240223_195330.jpg

20240223_195538.jpg

Out of curiosity, are your above deck measurements in line with the pin, or worst case tilt at top or bottom of the piston? There isn’t a huge difference, especially on fresh bores but I think I saw a few thou on my worn bores

Out of curiosity, are your above deck measurements in line with the pin, or worst case tilt at top or bottom of the piston? There isn’t a huge difference, especially on fresh bores but I think I saw a few thou on my worn bores
I was in line with the pin and check by rocking.

So many Reponses, I appreciate it. Here is what I have decided to do. I'm going to machine the pistons down to zero deck, which is the amount above for each piston. This should give me a balanced power stroke for each hole, I would think. Use a MAHLE / CLEVITE 3536SG head gasket which should provide the desired .040 quench I was after. Once I have the bottom end squared away I will call Hughes Engines, give them the specs (car and engine) and see what they recommend for a cam. If V/P clearance is an issue once I choose a cam, I will use Lindy Tools Company Piston Fly Cutters to deal with it. Then balance, after I determine the bob weight needed. I do understand the rotating weight vs reciprocating weight. I did swap the #2 and the #8. No significant change in height. Thoughts?

View attachment 1716212168

View attachment 1716212169
swapping 2&8 is a no go, the valve relief orientation of int and exh are not the same.

my bad, my old trw flat tops are not. My pistons are .022-.025 above deck and I run a .060 thick composite gasket with closed chamber heads for many years.
Im trying to find a .060 composite. seems they are all MLS now. Thats how I really want to do it. How did it run?

-
Back