I thought I found the answer….but no

-
No, that is where you get the charge for the alternator, look at the diagram shown earlier...
Hemi, so for me, who I admit am slow. Then I would have a 2 wire? 1: battery 2: ground?
Battery.... it's the charge wire and only wire hence the "1 wire"
are they just after market? Or can i go to Oreilly’s? What do I ask for? Also what brackets do I use?

Yeah, agreed. I am getting the car up and running with a mildly built 360 that has the Mopar alternator. Once my 408 is ready, it will have a GM 1 wire alternator. The harness that I am building is setup for the 1 wire but since a 360/mopar 2 wire alternator setup is going in the car short term, I may need this thread to use as a cheat sheet.

Of course I could change my mind and just throw the 1 wire on the 360 so I don't have to redo anything later.... lol
Powermaster has a one wire alternator that looks like a Mopar alternator, there is NEVER and reason to have a GM part on a Mopar... CHRYSLER Powermaster 75091 Powermaster Retro Alternators | Summit Racing

Hemi, so for me, who I admit am slow. Then I would have a 2 wire? 1: battery 2: ground?

are they just after market? Or can i go to Oreilly’s? What do I ask for? Also what brackets do I use?
Not sure on brackets as I haven't starting putting mine together yet.

I would rather see him run the 70 and later VR
Correct me if I'm wrong (cuz I probably am).... Wouldn't he want the race style regulator, if it's a strip car?? I do understand that one won't last at sustained low rpm.

Powermaster has a one wire alternator that looks like a Mopar alternator, there is NEVER and reason to have a GM part on a Mopar... CHRYSLER Powermaster 75091 Powermaster Retro Alternators | Summit Racing
I use a 95 amp 1-wire Powermaster alternator on the avatar car's 408. Been great so far!
20220721_204343.jpg

Where does the one wire on a GM?
See in the picture the one 12 inch black wire. That is all you need. It goes to a Battery bulk head in the first picture. Then I added a normally closed relay to shut the alternator off when on the start line. I use to have a short wire going to the bulk head for the battery cable. Then I put the relay in line seen in the second picture second picture

Steve 064.JPG

Steve 101.JPG

See in the picture the one 12 inch black wire. That is all you need. It goes to a Battery bulk head in the first picture. Then I added a normally closed relay to shut the alternator off when on the start line. I use to have a short wire going to the bulk head for the battery cable. Then I put the relay in line seen in the second picture second picture

View attachment 1716075007

View attachment 1716075008
Thank you

Years ago there was a 440 twin turbo Duster in our area. There was no room for an alternator under the hood.

He took a large Power steering pump pulley and cut the center out. Then removed the dust shield seal cover on the rear end yoke and replaced it with the large pump pulley. He mounted a one wire alt. to the rear differential so he could drive it on the street.

I thought that was pretty inventive to keep the battery charged

Last edited:
-
Back