I wanna see some flat black dusters or rat rod dusters

-
I did not invest 5K into my paint. I had stripped down my car myself and painted it black and then when I had saved up about 2K, I brought my car to the guy who did the body work and the paint. I also got him some newer kitchen appliances I had pulled from a job and he did some extras for me. I have been very blessed to be able to get the parts for my car via selling used appliances and this has not affected my budget. I do however understand the pervious posters point of making your car safe first before paint. and I agree that it is very expensive to have a car painted. It don't really matter to me if I see a car in primer or even with rust holes, If the owner of that car likes his ride, more power to him. It's all good!!

I think my car would be worth exactly $5k with a $5k paintjob. Tis why I'm going to do it myself - when I get time.

I think my car would be worth exactly $5k with a $5k paintjob. Tis why I'm going to do it myself - when I get time.

That looks like a decent car to me. You can go to a auto paint store and have them make you paint in rattle cans the same color as your car(around 12.00 around a can) and repaint the hood and other faded areas, it will not be a show car. Just an idea, I was going to try it on a 71 scamp I had but traded the scamp off.

That looks like a decent car to me. You can go to a auto paint store and have them make you paint in rattle cans the same color as your car(around 12.00 around a can) and repaint the hood and other faded areas, it will not be a show car. Just an idea, I was going to try it on a 71 scamp I had but traded the scamp off.
A friend of mine has a 68 Roadrunner, 383 auto, numbers matching, that he painted with acrylic enamel put into spray bombs by the local NAPA store. He's been driving and enjoying it for close to ten years this way, and hoping to scrape up the coin to do it right.

oh yes these are very exciting to look at, you want the rat rod look? Put shackles in the rear to raise the back end, leave the paint like is is and spread bondo on the body, add baby moons and rattle can the flames. Ooops sorry there already are here, I'd rather stab myself in the chest with a pair of scissors then to drive that kind of funny car:toothy10:

oh yes these are very exciting to look at, you want the rat rod look? Put shackles in the rear to raise the back end, leave the paint like is is and spread bondo on the body, add baby moons and rattle can the flames. Ooops sorry there already are here, i'd rather stab myself in the chest with a pair of scissors then to drive that kind of funny car:toothy10:
"wow"

This last summer we painted the top half of my Aspen with SEM 'Hot Rod black'. Came as a kit, with the paint, reducer and hardener. Turned out pretty good. The car was semi-straight, but a damn ugly colour, so we just fixed a couple of trouble spots and scuffed the rest. Disassembled, sanded and started masking after work friday. Finished masking and sprayed it saturday afternoon. Drove it home, and put all the trim back on it sunday. We never set too fast of a pace all weekend, left ourselves lots of beer time.
I posted some before and after pics a while ago, I think I called the thread 'F-body facelift' or something like that...

I have a compressor, and HVLP guns. I also have a gallon of Transtar 2k featherfill. I have never painted a complete car, but noone was ever born knowing anything. I'll do it, and be proud of it. Some unexpected life changes have derailed the ammount of time I can dedicate to the car. In reality, the suggestion to paint the horizontal areas might be what I do. Or I might just paint those areas in red-oxide primer until I have time to strip it down and do it right. I honestly don't mind the way the car looks as much as I want to protect the California steel from the New England moisture.

BTW, that pic was the good side. Other side is not so pretty.

Here is what I did to get rid of the tan on a Duster I had a few years ago.
Not all flat black... but some.
People actually thought it was cool... I just wanted to get rid of the aweful tan.
Was $40 bux in rattle cans.

-RPM

matt_duster_2.jpg

Heh... here is my old Dart sport " Ratty Rod" It wasnt really a rat rod... it was just Ratty.

CIMG0401.jpg

-RPM

I had to brighten it a bit with photobuckets editing software, as it was close to dark when the photo was taken. This is Hot Rod black, laquer primer, from www.paintforcars.com
I ran it for a year in this are. Places that didn't get sanded well peeled, but overall it held up pretty well, and it was better then the exposed, sun baked metal that it was before, particularly on the roof, and hood and decklid.
Turbo076.jpg

Leave it as it is and save the money for something else.
Besides, wouldn't it take a whole bunch of cans to cover it ($$$), and as mentioned, just add a coat of crap that has to be removed before it can be painted for real?

oh yes these are very exciting to look at, you want the rat rod look? Put shackles in the rear to raise the back end, leave the paint like is is and spread bondo on the body, add baby moons and rattle can the flames. Ooops sorry there already are here, I'd rather stab myself in the chest with a pair of scissors then to drive that kind of funny car:toothy10:

I can loan you scissors...

I just got the car down on the ground today, I have to adjust the coilovers to raise the rear about an inch,But this ought to qualify
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo186.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 712
  • Photo188.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 660
  • Photo190.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 626
It's 30 degrees out there right now. The cold just sucked all the enthusiasm right out of my 120lb frame, and I wasn't in there for 30 seconds before I said "damn this".

Thanks every one for the inspiration i think i will shoot her black f-it its my car right . But first im gonna try to find a 73-74 front clip b4 i black it out so if any youse guys wanna trade me clips hit me up.... Thanks

I wish I had seen this thread earlier! PLEASE DON'T USE SPRAYPAINT!!! Satin black cars are very cool to me, but there are 2 things that make them look cheezy-awful : tiger stripes and sun-fade. I have spray-bombed a few cars, and it takes more cans than you would think (around 10 for a VW, 15 for a '78 Delta 88, and 18 for a International Scout), unless you are using El-cheapo brand, there goes your budget. The sun will fade flat black with no UV protection in less than a year into dark "primer gray", worse yet, it doesn't fade evenly so you end up with a dirty gray tie-dyed car. Tiger-stripes may not show up when the paint is fresh, maybe not for a few months, but as soon as you let your guard down - BAM! you are driving a crap-mobile Joe Dirt would mock.

Fear not, Brother, there is a solution touched on by other members. $8 rustolium SATIN black in a quart can. You can thin it and spray it (it's just synth enamel) or thin it and use a closed-cell 3" roller. After you throw up in your mouth a little, hear me out. Rough-up your paint a little to give it some tooth, thin the rustolium with mineral spirits about 1:1 (doesn't have to be exact) roll on 2 coats, sand it smooth, roll on 2 more coats, sand it smooth, roll on 1 or 2 more coats and you are done. When you first roll it on, you will get millions (I mean millions) of tiny bubbles and runs. Don't worry, just soldier through. Each time you sand/paint, you are smoothing the finish and building thickness. As a bonus, it's easy to touch-up.

Another tip: I'd use a gloss black first as a sealer. Putting it on in this manner will give it a satin look, but it will not absorb moisture like a flat will. If it is still too shiney, just ad some satin black and thinner and roll it again.

The more time and elbow grease you put into it, the better it looks and it is very easy on the budget. If you want to add flames, stripes, skulls, rainbow unicorns, whatever, go ahead - you can always roll over it if it sucks.

The coolest part, to me, is the look on people's faces when you tell them that you painted it yourself, then tell them you used a roller!

-
Back