I wanna see some flat black dusters or rat rod dusters

-
Cool cool so where do i buy the rustolium at? I have only seen the oil based kind at lowes.

no my car is a 74 duster with a demon front clip and i just want to make it right ....

OH, sorry! I was just going by the little pic in your Avatar and at a glance I thought it was a Demon. Would look good either way. Good luck with your project.

That's the stuff. Lowe's, Home Depot... Wal-Mart. The beauty of this is it is so brutal and simple. You almost can't mess it up, and if you do, you sand it and roll it again. A few years ago Hot Rod Magazine did a story about it called The $98 paint job. I wanted to paint my farm truck, but hey, it was a farm truck that only saw pavement 2 or 3 times a year. I tried it and was blown away.

these are not Mopars, and the pics don't really do them justice - one is really dirty, the other is still in process, but you get the idea.

It holds up really well to the weather and chips, and has really good adhesion.

Attachments

• MissBHaven.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 709
  • 74f100.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 708
That's the stuff. Lowe's, Home Depot... Wal-Mart. The beauty of this is it is so brutal and simple. You almost can't mess it up, and if you do, you sand it and roll it again. A few years ago Hot Rod Magazine did a story about it called The $98 paint job. I wanted to paint my farm truck, but hey, it was a farm truck that only saw pavement 2 or 3 times a year. I tried it and was blown away.

these are not Mopars, and the pics don't really do them justice - one is really dirty, the other is still in process, but you get the idea.

It holds up really well to the weather and chips, and has really good adhesion.
and you just roll it on like your painting a house?

thanks 4flats im gonna go with the rustolem roll method. but i might just go with another color hmmmmm red , yellow , white not shure well see

In the garage doing some rust repair.
Keggerintake033.jpg

Hey this looks like my old Dart, would you be so kind to post some addisional pictures (inside and out) of it?

KP

Here is a 73 that I bought right before holloween this year.
Pretty solid but somebody used dollar store rattle bombs found a partial can in the car, looks bad in person.
1002150u.jpg

Here is the results you can get if you spray Ace Hardware paint thinned with mineral spirits.
This truck was my daily driver for many years and still would be it I did not wreck it.
If you use spray rustolem buy the professional grade and thin with acetone.
If you roll then use mineral spirits.
I have seen the roller jobs and they look great but are very labor intensive. Remember with roller paint you will also have to buy a buffer.
I would spray it if you have a gun and compressor.

truck52006.jpg

i really do like this front clip be its just not correct and i would hate to have to awnser for it every time a purest see's it. but it looks like its gonna have to stay the way is is..
except im gonna paint it gloss black. just bought the paint

Sireland is right about the buffer if you want it to be glossy, if you want the satin look, no need. Awsome looking truck by the way!
The roller job is labor intensive if you are going for gloss, if you compare it to a Mako or 10 footer, but even if you spray your own or let a cheepo-shop do it, you will need to wet-sand and polish it to really look good (got to knock down the orange peel at least). If you are getting a first-class professional job done, you wouldn'y really be considering a roller in the first place, would you?

Maybe I'm a little nutty, but I actually enjoyed spending the hours and hours wet-sanding mine (of course, it was in the high 70s, not 30* December). I also got a huge kick out of seeing the results unfold before my weary eyes.

Also, I've only tried black, but I've heard that the other colors are much easier to get good results from.

Dont rattle can it, When it rains the water will leak through and rust will eat the body from the inside. Heres how you do a good fl;at black paint job, it aint easy.-
Take the car to have it soda blasted, it wont cost much and it will completely strip it clean. You the need to do all the filling and body work which will include some bondo, block sanding guide coat and possibly some panel repair or nonlead solder filling for a straight body, You need to go the whole nine yards because if you do not it will look horrible and any rust will continue to grow and flat black shows every little detail. Im not talking barret jackson snob horrible Im talk a little kid comes by and asks why your car looks so .... up. In order to get the proper look of flat black you will need to do a few custom touches- Shave the front marker/turn indicators minimum and I would also shave the rear trunk lock and fab a switch in the cockpit like new cars have. Primer with gray and then spray with either John deer blitz black or dupli-color DP-90 and cover with a matee clear- YOU HAVE TO USE THE CLEAR!!!!! Water will soak through the primer and you will begin to see rust through if you do not- I KNOW FROM EXPIERINCE!!!!! It will not take long for that rust to become cance with no protection. Flat black only looks kool when done properly, you cannot trust picture because no matter how high quality It dosent show conditions in deffernt light or the details. Its ok to go cheap, but its never ok to go lazy!!!!

Dont rattle can it, When it rains the water will leak through and rust will eat the body from the inside. Heres how you do a good fl;at black paint job, it aint easy.-
Take the car to have it soda blasted, it wont cost much and it will completely strip it clean. You the need to do all the filling and body work which will include some bondo, block sanding guide coat and possibly some panel repair or nonlead solder filling for a straight body, You need to go the whole nine yards because if you do not it will look horrible and any rust will continue to grow and flat black shows every little detail. Im not talking barret jackson snob horrible Im talk a little kid comes by and asks why your car looks so .... up. In order to get the proper look of flat black you will need to do a few custom touches- Shave the front marker/turn indicators minimum and I would also shave the rear trunk lock and fab a switch in the cockpit like new cars have. Primer with gray and then spray with either John deer blitz black or dupli-color DP-90 and cover with a matee clear- YOU HAVE TO USE THE CLEAR!!!!! Water will soak through the primer and you will begin to see rust through if you do not- I KNOW FROM EXPIERINCE!!!!! It will not take long for that rust to become cance with no protection. Flat black only looks kool when done properly, you cannot trust picture because no matter how high quality It dosent show conditions in deffernt light or the details. Its ok to go cheap, but its never ok to go lazy!!!!
You do realize this is over a year old.....

dude, the guy had 50 bucks to spend a year ago, and he changed it to white

Yes, I know. I also know its over a year old. None of the things I suggested would be very expensive, unless you have the car soda blasted( little more money but well worth it) it would have just cost time. With my post now if he comes across some cash or someone else wants to do something similar and needs advice they have a sound well thought out reponse to reference. This helps eliminate have a new thread about the same topic every few months.

-
Back