Reaction score
400cu small block V8
Liquid cooled
Titanium crank and rods
Cast 12/1 pistons
Pressed Ball bearing bottom end
Precision balanced
Dry sump oiling
Twin turbo forced induction (not crankcase pressurized)
Reed valve intake system
Crank sensor ignition
Tuned exhaust
2 stroke :D

(No cam, timing chain, gears, valves, lifters, pushrods or rocker assembly.)

Multiply your average Honda CR250cc at a rounded off 50 HP and multiply that up to 400cu and see what you get.

I've often wondered about this. Maybe there is a engineer on FABO who can tell us why this isn't efficient, cost effective, reliable, etc.

I wonder if some things just don't scale well. I drove a Volvo powered semi-truck for a while. Something like 4-500 HP at 2500 rps. Somehow it doesn't seem like that would scale down well, or maybe it is just a Cummins. Don't know!

C

I'm no engineer, but I'd bet the high RPMs required to make badass power with a two stroke would be a bit prohibitive as the scale gets that large.

Remember how loud the Detroit diesels were when we were kids. Two stroke.
Too loud. Oil blowing out everywhere. You never had to change the oil just top if off
every few hours.

The biggest issues would be casting the block with the ports at the bottom and side of the cylinders for intake and exhaust portings, and for the crank to be ball bearings it would have to be a multi section pressed together unit. (like motorcycle rod bearings currently are.)
The bearing and rod go on the journal and then the other half of the crank and counter weight pressed on.
For the rods though, you could do needle bearing halves that the rod cap clamps in place.

A wet multi disc clutch would be nice too, instead of a single disc dry system.

Think if you could pull it off though.
3,000 plus HP at 12,000 RPMs on pump gas (before boost)
It would be another instance of banning an engine from the races like they did the Hemi.

Trail beast is on it. That would end up being on the order of a fifteen piece crank. Just truing a banshee crank kind of sucks at seven pieces. For reliability you'd have to weld it, for longevity....

I disagree on the block. There is plenty of room for porting with cam and valve gear gone. Heads would be a cinch. hardest parts are heat rejection and exhaust design. Two strokes don't generally favor sharing exhaust; banshees get away with it due to 180 degree crank. A V configuration would REALLY complicate that!

They're out there. Rudezon is the outboard that was mentioned previously. Lots of info on those outboard motors.

Fuel consumption sucks, and honestly, lack of full power band sucks on the street. It's still the most fun of road you can have though!

First you would need to work out a bore/stroke/ rod ratio that would allow you to got to the RPMs you want safely. Then convert that number into cubic inches per cylinder and that will tell you how many cylinders you will need to get to 400Ci . I have seen the early Kawasaki 750 cc triple 2 stroke motors joined together to make a 6 cylinder engine. That's cases welded together and cranks joined.

I disagree on the block. There is plenty of room for porting with cam and valve gear gone.
Your forgetting the transfer ports..They are in the block, not the heads Reed valves do not hold in the engine compression.

Ok now, that sounds really neat. FYI. most 2 cycle outboards all have caged needle bearings for the connecting rods and the main bearings, These are lubricated by the fuel splashing passing through them. Some now days have a pressurized bearing system and have direct combustion chamber injection. No reed valves. A good roller crank will spin 12 to 14k rpm. This could get very interesting with 10 to 15 lbs. of boost. WoW

Found it!

[ame=https://youtu.be/RoiWpJLokEc]Link[/ame]

My bad, it's a volvo. Dunno why I thought it was a studebaker.

Your forgetting the transfer ports..They are in the block, not the heads Reed valves do not hold in the engine compression.

Transfer ports would need to be replaced by design so as the blown in air would clear the burned mixture out the exhaust ports. (currently 2 strokes rely on the piston going down and compressing the air, fuel, oil mixture in the crank case so it injects that compressed mixture up through the port beside the cyclinder and into the chamber forcing the burned mixture out the exhaust port like any other regular 2 stroke.
Then we use injection of fuel as we want to keep the top end separate from the from the crank case so it's a closed system from everything else.
Our engine wouldn't smoke normally like that car posted above.

Keep in mind we wouldn't have anything above the crank and rods to oil.

(I know it's not very realistic, but it's always been a quandary of mine) :D

PS. I know reed valves don't hold compression.
They would be an anti blow back device to keep from exploding the entire intake system in case of a wild flame somewhere. :D
Just a one way safety valve if you will.

I wish they made an engine that would make my duster smell as sweet as my KDX200
(klotz beanoil)

I've played with 2-strokes and 4-strokes for close to 50 years. Dirt bikes, street bikes, sleds, and cars. Separate case reeds for each cylinder, direct injection, power valves to control exhaust port heights to get back some bottom end power from a wild upper end output, and an unlimited budget. Two stroke torque (except for diesels) has never been much to write home about, but the RPM's make up for it.

I'd stay with a built 4-stroke with NOS and settle for 1500 HP. How to hook up that power is a whole other challenge. I like my 2.3L (140 cubic inches) Saab Viggen with a mild stage 1 tune that puts 280 WHP out on a dyno and is electronically limited to 155 MPH. But, build that monster anyway. If you have big bucks, patience, and plenty of time.

Grass Drags (sleds) this weekend in Fremont NH if you want to see some wild 2-stroke (and 4-stroke) action. Open Mod classes run 125 MPH in 500 feet! Sled season is here!
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=2D9F51B83995C8EC721C2D9F51B83995C8EC721C

Remember how loud the Detroit diesels were when we were kids. Two stroke.
Too loud. Oil blowing out everywhere. You never had to change the oil just top if off
every few hours.

well I have a 6-71 Detroit with a turbo been using them for 31 years in my boat its no louder than any cummings my friends use as far oil blowing out everywhere never seen that ever maybe a little slobber now and then . 16000 hours on this one now and never done anymore then a tune up to it.

I wish they made an engine that would make my duster smell as sweet as my KDX200
(klotz beanoil)

You can run it in four strokes with no consequence, and get the smell. I always ran my old two stroke fuel in my cars and lawnmowers. If anything, it would extend ring life!

And yes, smells awesome!

well I have a 6-71 Detroit with a turbo been using them for 31 years in my boat its no louder than any cummings my friends use as far oil blowing out everywhere never seen that ever maybe a little slobber now and then . 16000 hours on this one now and never done anymore then a tune up to it.
that 6-71 Detroit is a heck of a good engine. Love the sound of them. Never seen one with a turbo, just a blower. :burnout:MT

-
Back