I want to lose the dashboard

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I want to build an aluminum purpose built dashboard of course not losing the ability to change it back if I'd like. but will I need bracing for the steering wheel and maybe other parts?

I looked at the Interior Department but they're just talking about putting in panels and speakers and stuff for normal driving car. again I want this to be more purpose built.

What I did was take out the gauge cluster from the stock dash and fabricated a replacement panel with the gauges I needed and put this in the stock frame opening. This presereved the stock column mounting and ebrake mount. Very easy to put the stock gauge cluster if needed. Not as light as it could me but saved removing the
Windshield to get the stock dash out also.

As usual, it'd be helpful if we knew what you were working on. Some dash frames are easier than others to customize. The older Darts, not so much

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 288
Good lord! ! That last picture looks like a star ship! LOL
I have a 73 duster and I plan on taking the windshield out as I got what I think might be a good reclaimabIe piece of plastic off of a believe it or not tanning bed? I want to put the aluminum dashboard in with aluminum door panels and the aluminum decking in the back to separate the trunk from the front I already have the interior pretty much out of it except for two low back buckets I put in the front.I have a new carpet kit and good plastics and seats for it most of which in duplicate as I have the old green stuff and new black stuff also I am saving this for Some day? But as for now when I go to the drags and they have a car show, the car show does not turn me on. the drag cars are what do it for me.and I have fun doing it it's like crack I can hardly wait to do it again and again:)

I have the ugliest dash ever made. I have been trying to get the guy with the fiber glass dashes to message me. P

Attachments

• 20140728_201216.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 223
I have the ugliest dash ever made. I have been trying to get the guy with the fiber glass dashes to message me. P

that's actually the look I'm going for. Maybe not as low I mean but I'm looking to retain my stock steering wheel and stock pedals. I just don't know about under bracing?

What I did was take out the gauge cluster from the stock dash and fabricated a replacement panel with the gauges I needed and put this in the stock frame opening. This presereved the stock column mounting and ebrake mount. Very easy to put the stock gauge cluster if needed. Not as light as it could me but saved removing the
Windshield to get the stock dash out also.

If I'm reading you right.....this is what I'd lean toward. Unless you're completely weight conscious, I think the custom cluster will work with the look of the other lightweight panels.

M&M I like your dash! Maybe hangs a little low, but I like it. I would like to keep the factory steering. but not sure about bracing it?I would like future generations (my son, my grandson) to be able to put it back to stock if desired.

old man thank you also. I am very weight conscious as my motor is small and I'd like to get the most respectable time out of it. the dreaded 318!

Decided to make my own dash for the lightweight Dart I'm putting together. Back of panel attaches to steering wheel frame support with fabricated brackets.

Attachments

• 000_0030 (640x480).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 000_0031 (640x480).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 000_0028 (640x480).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 216
Decided to make my own dash for the lightweight Dart I'm putting together. Back of panel attaches to steering wheel frame support with fabricated brackets.

Thank you mderoy340! That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for!
this is really all about living out my childhood dream of having a race car.
again I'm looking for as much weight loss is possible and to give it that race car look inside without losing the ability to turn it back to stock.thank you for the pictures also!

Your welcome. The lower left is part of the original dash I cut to mount fuse block, hold stereo, and keep the e brake handle installed. Uses left side dash mount and both lower column mounts.

Your welcome. The lower left is part of the original dash I cut to mount fuse block, hold stereo, and keep the e brake handle installed. Uses left side dash mount and both lower column mounts.

My e break is not hooked up, and no stereo.I am trying to preserve the dash. Do you think I can just fabricate some kind of Brackett 4 holding the steering wheel and brake pedals ? I'm not sure if the brake pedals need something? I keep my car in storage so its not here with me to look at. I will get a peek at it later this afternoon and be able to get a better idea of what's going on under there.View attachment 20140429_153520.jpg
I can do picture:cheers:s now!

Mderoy340, it looks great like you answered my biggest concern for
taking off the dash! So I pull the windshield, that allows me to pull the
dash. Form one out of aluminum (like or kinda like mopar miller) and
presto-zappo I have a light weight race car dash:)????

Im with Mopar Miller I just went with a universal aluminum but plan on getting it powder coated after it has its final fit when the full cage goes in. Its a b body but still would work for a body

Attachments

• 20140714_162458.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 20140510_171744.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 146
Thanks its the S&W race cars universal dash board only one big enough for a 5" gauge or tach, they offer another with a removable gauge section but doesn't hold that many gauges that's why I opted for this one. I used arbodies.com aluminum adjustable brackets to mount it.

-
Back