I was "318", when 318 wasn't cool......

-
I understand the just a 318,what I dint get is the aura, I guess its like the jeep thing I don't understand. i will say this, if Uncle Tony makes that B body do 10s in the 1/8 mile what's so impressive about that? that's 15,16s in the 1/4 that's about right for a 318 B body even stock with a two barrel UTG is generating click bait oon something that is standard performance. I suppose I am old enough to know better. . Its like bracket racing a dump truck or a riding mover and getting wood over it. All I have to say about that (in a Forrest Gump voice)

I understand the just a 318,what I dint get is the aura, I guess its like the jeep thing I don't understand. i will say this, if Uncle Tony makes that B body do 10s in the 1/8 mile what's so impressive about that? that's 15,16s in the 1/4 that's about right for a 318 B body even stock with a two barrel UTG is generating click bait oon something that is standard performance. I suppose I am old enough to know better. . Its like bracket racing a dump truck or a riding mover and getting wood over it. All I have to say about that (in a Forrest Gump voice)
LOL.... you are behind on your rest. UTG 318 has run 8.80's in the 1/8 with issues. That would be about high 13's. I think with the changes he'll be lower 8's, then the 300 shot puts him in the high 10's... at least once !!! KABOOM!! ha !

LOL.... you are behind on your rest. UTG 318 has run 8.80's in the 1/8 with issues. That would be about high 13's. I think with the changes he'll be lower 8's, then the 300 shot puts him in the high 10's... at least once !!! KABOOM!! ha !

Truth is Bottle rocket is a piece of ****...look at it. If he's using nitrous I'll wait for the "I blew it up" episode to come out. :)

Truth is Bottle rocket is a piece of ****...look at it. If he's using nitrous I'll wait for the "I blew it up" episode to come out. :)
well, I don't think we'll turn this thread into a UTG hate fest.... I noticed you keep bringing him up. You'll have to figure out how you are going to deal with his channel in your life...
Let's get back to the joke and funnies... I was cool before being 318 was cool !!! :lol:

If they could bore a 318 to 340 (4.040) they would.
LMAO! Tell me something I don’t know....
:lol:
1st, I’m looking forward to the “I blew it up” episode.

2nd, “Bottle Rocket” may very well be a POS, but, what better to race? I see no sense at all in taking a nice car and tearing it up to race. I see all the sense in the world by not only taking a POS racing, but what better than a car not worth spit in the collectors world to race?!?!

I love picking up junk and making it to fast. While I could live without the rust issues, I’m not taking apart a perfectly good candidate for a resto or daily driver. There’s plenty of junk out there that’s perfect for racing.
:thumbsup:

well, I don't think we'll turn this thread into a UTG hate fest.... I noticed you keep bringing him up. You'll have to figure out how you are going to deal with his channel in your life...
Let's get back to the joke and funnies... I was cool before being 318 was cool !!! :lol:
I don't hate the guy I don't take everything he says as gospel. I also have to work for a living so I wont invest the time he has in playing around with junk. I have the money so Ill spend it on more worthwhile endeavors.:)

Ah that catch phrase, "just a 318"/
Aunt Sadie had a 383 2 bbl67 Coronet. I was just a grocery getter. Her boy, Danny, had a 68 383 Roadrunner with a 4 bbl and a 4 speed. It was not considered just a grocery getter.
Just a 318. It got groceries so whats so bad? Can it do more? yes.

I put a 318 in my dart, and an old head mechanic said while I was installing it "that's alot of motor for that car"

I put a 318 in my dart, and an old head mechanic said while I was installing it "that's alot of motor for that car"
Well, it was "just a dart"

stir.gif

Ok I'm sold is there a short stroke 318 kit out there something akin to a 5.0 Ford type revver? Now I'm jumping on the bandwagon...:)

Ok I'm starting to feel like Abbot and Costello "whos on first" here or more like "which engine revs the best":rofl: I would have to say that if given the choice Id go with the 273 as the performance engine. I remember a guy back in the mid 80s had a 66 barracuda, I asked what engine he said "273" I was like What? what's a 273? I was also thinking in relation to this thread title...if 318s are cool its only because they are low compression, ... get it High comp = heat?

Last edited:
Ok I'm starting to feel like Abbot and Costello "whos on first" here or more like "which engine revs the best":rofl: I would have to say that if given the choice Id go with the 273 as the performance engine. I remember a guy back in the mid 80s had a 66 barracuda, I asked what engine he said "273" I was like What? what's a 273?

well, if i remember correctly, the 274 could be had with a 4 barrel, where the 318 could not
that tells me all i need to know

but i will admit, i enjoy the back and forth on this

well, if i remember correctly, the 274 could be had with a 4 barrel, where the 318 could not

Yeah me too.

I am surprised people aren't converting 318s to 273s that would probably actually work LOL!

It seems the 273 made a few more horsepower and revved higher than a 318. Get the compression ratio up and get a 318 revving but here we go it needs modification.

...but the 273 was discontinued in 1968 while the 318 got a 4 barrel in the early 1980's and lived on into a second generation (1992) until 1999, ending up MPI and 230 NET HP.

...but the 273 was discontinued in 1968 while the 318 got a 4 barrel in the early 1980's and lived on into a second generation (1992) until 1999, ending up MPI and 230 NET HP.
I suppose this means there are plenty of them around...in various different forms. have people begun grafting magnum parts on to LA and vice versa? Only thing I have done was plug the egr holes on later heads to fit an earlier engine. I seem to recall the early LA 318 was 230 HP also. Or that was a standard HP for LA 318 for a long time.

Early 318 was 230 GROSS HP (and over rated).

Who told you this?
I must be.... now everyone is building 318's. A lot of u-tube channels are building 318's now.... and announcing it with Xcitement!!! And, look at all the 318 build threads here on FABO lately !! It used to be something that was done in secret, now it's announced in Bold Lettering !!! Yep, I was 318, when 318's weren't cool... :D
I'll still hang with ya, though! Even though your building a 360 (Dorky thing to do):poke: When we meet'n ?? LOL

I must be.... now everyone is building 318's. A lot of u-tube channels are building 318's now.... and announcing it with Xcitement!!! And, look at all the 318 build threads here on FABO lately !! It used to be something that was done in secret, now it's announced in Bold Lettering !!! Yep, I was 318, when 318's weren't cool... :D
I'll still hang with ya, though! Even though your building a 360 (Dorky thing to do):poke: When we meet'n ?? LOL

ever wonder why they are building 318s?

we've probably ran out of good blocks to build and 318s is all they can find

poke.gif

-
Back