I went from electronic to points and it seems great

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Yeah yeah, backwards once again for me but I do have a MSD 7 box and HVC coil. Well I was never really happy with my Mopar dist. It work yes but the cap seem small and that magnetic pick up wiring can cause problems with false readings if the wire is run along other wires or if you use solid core spark plug wires.

Well for just $20 on Ebay I found a Accel 30301 dual point dist that uses the big Chevy 1955-1957 dist cap and heavy duty rotor. Also fits all Accel 2000 and 3000 series dist. MSD saids to run only 1 set of points and since theres little current flowing they last a very long time. MSD also saids dwell doesn't matter cause the MSD box just needs to know when to fire. As long as the points open and close it work fine.

Can I tell the difference yet--no but since the dist cap is much wider it has to help stop the crossfire. I believe the rotor being thicker overall will help too. I have 1 wire going to the MSD box not 2 and don't have to worry about false readings. I just swap over to my old solid core wires but kept my MSD coil wire. Stereo still sounds fine and the motor runs smooth--in fact in neutral revving it seems a bit better....used to be a bit rough at 1500 but smooth right out after 2000 rpms but now its better. Might be a better mech. advance in the Accel dist. The points are 48 oz and seem fine to me at 6200 rpms can it go 7500, maybe not but I have no race 340 motor either.

Gee it seems to me most everything thats old fashion is better....maybe the MSD dists have big caps but for over $200 that money can go in my gas tank.

Edit...well not everything old is better, I would not replace my MSD 7 box with anything else but another aftermaket spark box, those factory boxes are smaller but are weaker....like my Demon carb too..and my RPM intake...and my..ha ha..ha

-
Back