I wonder why my 340 had an awful miss.......

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
....this is why! 69 340 in my 74 Satellite....stock Ma Mopar parts and just replaced them with a used pushrod and rocker I had....more old mopar stuff went back in LOL but runs good....took a few mins to get the lifter to pump back up and it sounded bad, but noise went away...hope its good again, been a great 340 since high school 1995 :glasses7:

Attachments

• Picture 4628.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 524
Oops,seen that happen too many times,Keith. Love the car, is the 340 stock?

Oops,seen that happen too many times,Keith. Love the car, is the 340 stock?

Nope, was a 318 car originally when I got it, the 340 I swapped in has a Eddy air gap, 750 Holley, MP 509 cam, 3500 stall and a 3.91 rear gear....but was my very first car, I learned a lot of lessons with this car, some good and some bad....but it's still here with me :glasses7:

Nope, was a 318 car originally when I got it, the 340 I swapped in has a Eddy air gap, 750 Holley, MP 509 cam, 3500 stall and a 3.91 rear gear....but was my very first car, I learned a lot of lessons with this car, some good and some bad....but it's still here with me :glasses7:

That's what ,counts... Thanks for not getting gaudy, with a tastefully done car.

Yep, that'll happen with a 509 cam and factory style rockers.

Watch the others, some may follow via hari kari

:cheers: Yes !! Keep the keys ready for me, Tickled to hear it was a simple fix for you :color:

I always liked this cool MoPar :color: Never give up bud :cheers:

I got lucky, the chunk of metal that broke off stayed in the rocker otherwise that could have cause some damage....the pushrod was stuck inside the rocker so I just swapped in a new one. Those are the stock rockers....I do have some nice 273 adjustable ones as well as some proform adj ones...but those are made in China.....maybe a future swap is in store but for now I'll run what I got. I will inspect the others just to be safe but I'm sure it's ok.

Had that happen to me twice. There is a tool that will let you go down through the head and grab the lifter and put it back into the bore. After 2 times I put a roller valve train in.

Here is mine from last week:

Pz7mJ5g.jpg

Many years ago, oi bpught a 200 biuck 76 pick-up truck. Only had 64k on it. Old guy parked it cuz hw though he was throwing a rod. Was a rocker/push rod. Truck was a 318.

Saw this on a 93 Caravan 3.3 with "only" 247,000 miles. Guy sold it to me for $125 cause the "motor is blown up". Of course it had to be the rear head, so the plenum had to come off. Threw rockers/shaft and 2 pushrods in from a donor engine I had, and whammed her back together with the old gaskets and a little sealer. Didn't want to waste money on gaskets without knowing if that was all that made it sound like rocks in a Folger's can. Turned out fine, and I drove it for nearly a year before I resold it.

First time that happened to me many years ago, I thought I had blown up my 383. Pushrod went through the rocker and also kicked the lifter out of the hole dropping my oil pressure to zero. Man was I relived to find out it was a minor fix.

First time that happened to me many years ago, I thought I had blown up my 383. Pushrod went through the rocker and also kicked the lifter out of the hole dropping my oil pressure to zero. Man was I relived to find out it was a minor fix.

I felt the same way....sick to my stomach and the car actually got parked and sat for a year.....put on back burner imaging the worst....got a bug the other day and found out the issue....wish I had looked into it sooner lol

I got lucky, the chunk of metal that broke off stayed in the rocker otherwise that could have cause some damage....the pushrod was stuck inside the rocker so I just swapped in a new one. Those are the stock rockers....I do have some nice 273 adjustable ones as well as some proform adj ones...but those are made in China.....maybe a future swap is in store but for now I'll run what I got. I will inspect the others just to be safe but I'm sure it's ok.

Depending on the brand of Chinese rockers(mine were CAT products...) , a good hardened set of pushrods( Crowers, in this case...) absolutely ate the non hardened pushrod pockets up,in the rocker arms. Some of those rockers are good, some not so good. Do your research first, Keith.

had be a good feeling when you found it was a cheap fix, wish ihad notgot rid of my69 340 born to rev

Seen that on 340's a few times. My younger brother kept me busy!

Never had that happen on my 383's and have turned them over 7500 at times.

:thumbup: Nice save right there Keith!! That car just screams KOOL :)

Don't you just love an easy fix?
Now just to make sure its fixed a burnout is in order.:burnout:

-
Back