ID these things please.

-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
First, looking at the two sensors - which is is the oil pressure switch, and what does the other one do?

Passengerfront.jpg

Second - what is the Large hole for, and what are the other two holes for?

Pic is of the rear of the drivers side - engine is a 6.1 - and its upside down........

20121205_190650-1.jpg

on the first pic i would guess that the oil pressure sensor is the one closest to the oil filter......and just trying to take a stab at it....i think the other sensor is a knock sensor. the knock sensor responds to spark knock caused by Pre-detonation of the Air/Fuel mixture.

on the second pic the big hole seems like its either a water passage or a heat tube....i would go with water passage bcoz it has a bolt hole by it so im guessing it would have an O-ring and a retainer bracket that goes there.

the two smaller holes look like bolt holes like some kind of bracket goes there........IDK....thats my guess

actually the knock sensor comment is withdrawn ...i think it might be a engine coolant temp. sensor.....by location i would think knock sensor but by appearence i would say coolant sensor.

Attachments

• dodge_charger_2010_engine_coolant_temperature_sensor_oem_tx98.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 349
One is oil pressure switch, the other would be either coolant temp sensor, which sends message to relay for the electric fan , i would say .

Second pic is probably crank sensor hole . These guys n girls have the first pic figured out.

The second hole looks to be the same as on a 5.7 and if I remember correctly it bottoms out and does nothing. I made a aluminum cover just "because" and moved on.

For the first pic:
Close of oil filter is oil temperature (2 pin), and other one in block is oil pressure (3 pin)

For the first pic:
Close of oil filter is oil temperature (2 pin), and other one in block is oil pressure (3 pin)

This is 100% correct. The 2 pin sensor directly above the oil filter is the oil temperature sender. The 3 prong sensor is the oil pressure sending unit.
~Michael

This is 100% correct. The 2 pin sensor directly above the oil filter is the oil temperature sender. The 3 prong sensor is the oil pressure sending unit.
~Michael

OK ..Thanks for the confirmation and thanks to Jousi.

The holes in the block are still up for clarification - Ill try to get a better picture on the weekend.

The sensor by the oil filter boss is the oil temp, the one on the front of the block would be oil pressure (my pressure sensor was in the 45* oil filter adapter and that oil hole has a plug in it) The large hole on the drivers side at the rear of the block is where the block heater goes if you live in the great white north.

Aahhh.......the mysterious hole in thegreat white North...:)

But seriously..thanks for the explanation!

A block heater huh? Thats an interesting concept..any idea how it works?

I assume i don't need to block it off?

Aahhh.......the mysterious hole in thegreat white North...:)

But seriously..thanks for the explanation!

A block heater huh? Thats an interesting concept..any idea how it works?

I assume i don't need to block it off?

It heats the coolant by way of an element inserted into the waterjacket. It does not circulate, but mearly spreads heat slowly over time. Very handy up here to help with cold starting. :D

You will need to block it off. I don't know the position of this on this motor, but if it is indeed a block heater hole, it is an opening in the waterjacket. In most engines a frost plug would replace it. Is it the same size as your frost plugs?

Edit: looking at your other thread I see there are no frost plugs!

You made me curious, so I searched and found this...:eek:ops:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_engine_heater.htm

Apparently it mearly contacts the metal of the block and is not immersed in coolant. Hmmmm.
"The 5.7L/6.1L engines have the block heater located on the left side of the engine below the exhaust manifold in the rear of the engine. It is not immersed in engine coolant but makes direct contact with the block."

Its a quandry....I won't be filling it with coolant any time soon........hopefully someone who knows will chime in........

No need to block it. Nothing will leak from there. I have same hole in 5.7.

This is modern cast block and dont need "frost plugs" on casting process like old style blocks, thats why the hole for heater.

In Finland we used to use block heaters which was normally assembled to hole of frost block or lower radiator hose. And it was heating coolant. Very good and effective system.
But modern engines are mostly heated by aluminium chunk which is bolted to block like this hemi heater or some cases to aluminium oil pan and it heats the oil.

Just leave it alone and move on. I made a cover for mine, but it is not needed.

-
Back