ID this trans crossmember, please

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ended up with the top crossmember with some 904s I was gifted. I think it was on a '63 slant 6 trans, but I didn't worry/ pay attention at the time, as I thought it was the same as the bottom one, which came off my '64 V8 Barracuda. Were the really early A body pieces different?

20231231_141453.jpg

I ended up with the top crossmember with some 904s I was gifted. I think it was on a '63 slant 6 trans, but I didn't worry/ pay attention at the time, as I thought it was the same as the bottom one, which came off my '64 V8 Barracuda. Were the really early A body pieces different?

View attachment 1716185883
What I know of 1963 to 1966 has the same cross member.

Upper one in picture is stock 63-66
Lower one has been modified 63-66 for dual exhaust.

Both are considered “early A”

I figured so as well, but the difference in bolt spacing has me wondering. Unless V8 cars got a different trans support, and the torsion bar crossmember was drilled differently?

I've got to pay a bit more attention to what I'm doing... the bolt spread is the same, it's an optical illusion in my picture.

They're not exactly the same, but, they can be swapped with minor mods. '63-5 used the two stud transmission mount. In '66 they went to the one stud. There's also and extra bolt hole in the later crossmember, but, I can't remember where it it located or it's purpose. IIRC, there are three versions of this crossmember....all for single exhaust.

-
Back