Idea for a TRUE Slant Six Challenge class

-
No fuel type restriction?
See posts #20 & 21...............
tho' I guess we should get clarification on octane boosters etc. How to verify pump premium?
Given the use of stock pistons, max compression shaving the head and deck still won't net 10 to 1
With that, it would probably be an advantage to run 91 pump

I'm sure I can do better than 10:1, so You would have to rule out boosters :D:D:D:D:D!

My 64 had a stock valve lift of .375. A few years later Chrysler increased the cam specs so I'm already at a disadvantage. Early A's were typically less than 3000 lbs so we have to add weight to make minimum? Or is that with driver?
I go back a long way and it seems everytime a showroom class is started to keep costs down, it soon spirals out of control. See SCCA etc.
We used to love to watch the /6 class at the Mopar Nats but they got squeezed right out of the program. Maybe start a campaign to get them back.

My 64 had a stock valve lift of .375. A few years later Chrysler increased the cam specs so I'm already at a disadvantage. Early A's were typically less than 3000 lbs so we have to add weight to make minimum? Or is that with driver?
I go back a long way and it seems everytime a showroom class is started to keep costs down, it soon spirals out of control. See SCCA etc.
We used to love to watch the /6 class at the Mopar Nats but they got squeezed right out of the program. Maybe start a campaign to get them back.
You can mix, match and modify any element of the car, providing the parts used originated on a standard assembly line.
As for the 3000 pounds, that minimum would be at the end of a run, with driver.
As for costs getting out of control, I would make sure, at the very beginning that the rules would actually prevent people from spending money....on parts, at least.
The idea behind the class is, who can do the most with the least.

Why not show up at the slant six racers banquet, and rules meeting, and present this. It is Friday, February 24 and Saturday, February 25. Valley Forge Inn. Pegion Forge, Tn.

Why not show up at the slant six racers banquet, and rules meeting, and present this. It is Friday, February 24 and Saturday, February 25. Valley Forge Inn. Pegion Forge, Tn.
Thats a great idea. Which would be the better day to show up? Who exactly should I be looking for to talk about this?

You can mix, match and modify any element of the car, providing the parts used originated on a standard assembly line.

Over $1,000 for a fully modfied head. .5xx lift regrind cam. What about pistons? Stock OEM are no longer available. Aftermarket?, where do you draw the line?
The biggest drawback to this, is the lack of people with "stock" slants that would be interested in racing. The slant six racing points series is bracket style, with everything from totally stock engines, to high dollar full boogie race motors. So for those taht just want to have fun, on a small budget, can do so. I have very little money in any of my cars. At one time we had 20 plus cars at a given meet, but that time is no longer. Here is a pic of the staging lanes, at Clay City Ky. All slant six cars.
http://www.slantsix.org/galleries/claycity/2002/staginglanes1.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a great idea. Which would be the better day to show up? Who exactly should I be looking for to talk about this?
It depends. Those that show up on Friday, usually go to a local resterant for diner, and bench racing. Sat is the meeting. Go to the meeting room on the second floor, front of the hotel. You can talk to any one/everyone, and see what they think. Lou Madsen will probably be the "ringmaster". It's pretty informal.

Over $1,000 for a fully modfied head. .5xx lift regrind cam. What about pistons? Stock OEM are no longer available. Aftermarket?, where do you draw the line?
The biggest drawback to this, is the lack of people with "stock" slants that would be interested in racing. The slant six racing points series is bracket style, with everything from totally stock engines, to high dollar full boogie race motors. So for those taht just want to have fun, on a small budget, can do so. I have very little money in any of my cars. At one time we had 20 plus cars at a given meet, but that time is no longer. Here is a pic of the staging lanes, at Clay City Ky. All slant six cars.
http://www.slantsix.org/galleries/claycity/2002/staginglanes1.jpg

What I have is a concept, not a fully mature plan. Several minds would need to sit and iron out the fine details.
I think the idea of a super restrictive spec class run heads up, no breakout could appeal to a lot of people who normally wouldn't be interested in racing a Slant, brackets or otherwise.
Lots of broke racers out there who would jump at something like this if it became a thing.

I like the idea. But is the goal to see whom may produce the fastest slant six with inexpensive parts or to have a group of pretty equal cars to find the best driver?
I've got a '66 Valiant with a 170, three on a tree & mediocre driver (at best) but it'd be fun.

image.jpg

I like the idea. But is the goal to see whom may produce the fastest slant six with inexpensive parts or to have a group of pretty equal cars to find the best driver?
I've got a '66 Valiant with a 170, three on a tree & mediocre driver (at best) but it'd be fun.

View attachment 1715018044
It would be, quickest car with stock parts more than anything else.
But, don't count that 170 out..especially with the 3 speed.
Remember, the Slant was designed as a 170, and that is the one the engineers considered the "performance" engine.
The 225 was an afterthought for heavier cars and light trucks

How will you keep it on the up an up ?
Will there be a tear down after the race ?

Sounds like fun ( not the teardown part :) )

Off to the extrude honing shop. :)

a class designed for the " average" slant guy. a slant guy that loves the low $ associated with this car, someone that has NO ego problem that requires him to always spend more $ than the next Joe to win, Ha... people that have NO use for bracket racing, and people that value the fun factor most and above all, and rejoice in helping others to build a fun, and comparably fast car as theirs.???

a class designed for the " average" slant guy. a slant guy that loves the low $ associated with this car, someone that has NO ego problem that requires him to always spend more $ than the next Joe to win, Ha... people that have NO use for bracket racing, and people that value the fun factor most and above all, and rejoice in helping others to build a fun, and comparably fast car as theirs.???
Bingo!

Charrlie knows what I'm talking about,When we do a Slant event it's all about fun.Sure we all want to win,but it is the camaraderie more than competition.We not only race against each other but help one another during the event.Gosh I miss it,hell I was traveling 3,000 + miles one way to race and to be with good friends from all over the country. If the time comes that I can do it again I will.

Charrlie knows what I'm talking about,When we do a Slant event it's all about fun.Sure we all want to win,but it is the camaraderie more than competition.We not only race against each other but help one another during the event.Gosh I miss it,hell I was traveling 3,000 + miles one way to race and to be with good friends from all over the country. If the time comes that I can do it again I will.
We get a class like this going, and you will get to do it again.
There is a strong pent up demand for something like this that extends way past the Slant, or even Mopar community.
If we build it, they will come

Aluminum blocks ? Extrude honing?
833 aluminum O.D case ... 7 1/4 with 4.10s... battery in trunk+ full tank for wieght dist...
This would be fun!

Aluminum blocks ? Extrude honing?
833 aluminum O.D case ... 7 1/4 with 4.10s... battery in trunk+ full tank for wieght dist...
This would be fun!
You can use an aluminum block, but the 3000 pound minimum weight would make that pretty futile.
I would limit trans choices to either stock converter 904 or either 903/230 3 speeds.
Any gear ratio in that 7.25 you want, as long as it was factory available.

-
Back