Ideas how to convert this flange to a single 3" Pipe

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
I'm doing some repairs to my Mopar trailering vehicle (old 89 f350), and have run into the issue of converting this flange down to a single 3" pipe. Does anyone have any ideas of how to do it? The photo of the flange is below in the link.

407774_139814332804140_100003267237884_172390_2039614709_n.jpg

is that ehaust? if so, take a piece of 3" pipe, and squish the one end into an oval. You may need to cut some slits in it to open it up to get it to fit on your flange. Once it is on there, you can weld the slits back up. If the pipe is too big, cut your slits so they are wider at the opening and work it smaller a bit. That is what I would do.. may be a bit crude but should work fine.

Yes this is exhaust. This flange is actually very large. If I squish a 3" pipe down, it only covers the flange 1/2 the way width wise is my problem. I'd need a 6" or bigger pipe to do it that way.

Or take your 3" piece, squish it, then cut it in half length wise. Then add in a "center" piece, with the 2 radius' on the outside of this center piece...in essence, widening the 3" squish to become the size of the flange. Your center piece will need to be pie shaped, as to adapt the flange dimensions to a round 3" piece of tube.

put a string around it to get the circumference, and then make that length a circle, and measure the diameter, then you will have the approximate size pipe you need to start with.

Several ways. buy a big roller from harbor Fr or Nothern. then buy a shrinker. Then spend time learning the machines. Buddy has them, he made all kinds of sheetmetal for his 69 Charger.

Or just get some 12 or 14 gauge, cut it up, bend it in the vise,hammer it over a 4" metal pipe, and start welding.

-
Back