Identify 69 Dart Exhaust Tips

-

AZ-Nick

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if these tips look like they are original 69 A body tips, I can’t tell for certain? I just removed them from my car because I am going to replace the tail pipes. Thanks

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4781.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

They could be original but they were never welded to the tailpipe from the factory

Somebody cut the end and welded it to the pipe as said above. They should slip in the pipe...

Yes they are the correct tips. Back when they were hard to find and before the remade them they were welded on for Safety. The clamp never indented the pipe to the steel tip . They would slide out after a couple good strong launches. Or they would fly off in the driveway in the middle of the night while you were sleeping. I've lost them both ways.

Another way to hold them on was to drill the hook on the tip and pin it after its slid through the hanger. I remember buying a couple cars back in the 70's that were pinned.

Yes they are the correct tips. Back when they were hard to find and before the remade them they were welded on for Safety. The clamp never indented the pipe to the steel tip . They would slide out after a couple good strong launches. Or they would fly off in the driveway in the middle of the night while you were sleeping. I've lost them both ways.

Another way to hold them on was to drill the hook on the tip and pin it after its slid through the hanger. I remember buying a couple cars back in the 70's that were pinned.
Hard to imagine that they would be original because the inlet would have been 1-5/8” or 1-7/8”diameter and these are welded to
2-1/2”diameter pipes, but I guess anything is possible. Thanks for your help

Hard to imagine that they would be original because the inlet would have been 1-5/8” or 1-7/8”diameter and these are welded to
2-1/2”diameter pipes, but I guess anything is possible. Thanks for your help
Depends on where they cut it to match up with the tailpipe, but who knows?

I am certain the portion of the exhaust system up to the muffler is 2-1/2” diameter but I never measured the tailpipe, I guess I better measure the diameter of the tailpipe just to make sure.

Back in the day when we wanted to put on larger diameter tail pipes, we would slide the new diameter pipe over the stock tip and mark the "swell" where the pipe hit, cut off the end of the tip and weld it to the pipe, or to a slightly larger piece of pipe that would accept the new tailpipe.

These are NOS chrome tips for '68 & 69 Formula S and 'cuda package cars
Notice the upward angle
1710168190215.png

1710168207083.png

-
Back