Identify these lifters

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I need some help identifying these lifters.

I'm really starting to suspect they are solid lifters.
see the below thread for the whole story.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=92471

I took the rocker assembly off the head and took the pushrods out. They are 7.5 inches tall (as far as i know the hydraulic pushrods for a 340 engine with adjustable pushrods were 7.25 inch tall, the solid lifters out of a 273 with adjustable pushrods are 7.343 inches tall) They usually use taller pushrods for solid lifters since the pushrod seat on the lifter is further down in a solid lifter than in a hydraulic lifter correct?

Below is a picture of the lifter (picture taken through the head) The lifters look like they aren't collapsed, they are all up against the c-clips. Do these look like solid lifters to you guys...?

Really need some help figuring this out...

Lifter.jpg

Well, most solid lifters are actually hollow with the cup pressed in. I don't remember seeing any with a snap ring or clip holding the cup in place, though. Must be hydraulic.

look at the picture disclaimer.

thanks, i know they sometimes use generic images for this stuff :happy10:
I just want to make sure solid lifter don't have c-clips.

I just find it very strange i can't seem to set my valves right, the plungers don't seem to move down at all. They seem to act like solid lifters. Maybe i'll just set my valves with the engine running. It'll be messy, but might be the only way to get it right LOL.

One more thing. If the lifters were collapsed, they would look different then the one i pictured above right?

Thanks for all your input, i appreciate it.:cheers:

Generic pics for your enticement and misinformation are provided with no extra charge.

Generic pics for your enticement and misinformation are provided with no extra charge.

Ha ha.. you're right, sometimes the internet is your worst enemy when trying to find some information...

Thanks for your input, so i must have hydraulic lifters then.

Any thought about the length of the pushrod? Since the rockers (273's) are adjustable, having a slightly longer pushrod then the ones used for hydraulic lifters shouldn't be a problem right...?

The pushrod length is dictated by the rocker to valve contact and the distance between the rocker and lifter (cam on base circle, valve seated).

The length WILL vary by combo.

How much adjuster (how many threads) is sticking out the bottom of the rocker?

Update!!!

Those Can Be Solids!!!

and now that I think about it, thats what he told you to begin with...lol

Hydraulic vs. Mechanical (Solid) Lifters

Both lifter types look the same from the outside, with both having pushrod seats held in by a retaining clip. In a hydraulic lifter the seat moves by means of a hydraulic valve and oil pressure within the lifter. The mechanical lifter does not have a valve and is solid

http://www.compcams.com/technical/FAQ/FAQLifters.asp

pull one out and look at it...try to compress it. you should be able to if its hydraulic

If you attempt to reset your valves with the engine running, video it so we can all laugh!
You are gonna have to act real quick!

Update!!!

Those Can Be Solids!!!

and now that I think about it, thats what he told you to begin with...lol

Hydraulic vs. Mechanical (Solid) Lifters

Both lifter types look the same from the outside, with both having pushrod seats held in by a retaining clip. In a hydraulic lifter the seat moves by means of a hydraulic valve and oil pressure within the lifter. The mechanical lifter does not have a valve and is solid

http://www.compcams.com/technical/FAQ/FAQLifters.asp

DAMN... and i thought we had it figured out haha...
Well, the only way to be sure then is to pull one of the lifters and have a look if it comes apart. I had a hydraulic lifter in my garage from when i replaced the lifters on my 71 cutlass, i couldn't press these in by hand but when i took them apart they were definatly the hydraulic type. So testing if the current lifter in my 67 barracuda compresses (which it doesn't) won't tell me much.

I really don't want to pull the intake off to take the lifters out. Maybe i'll put it back together and try to adjust with the engine running. I've had the valve cover off before to hear if anything was ticking while running. I was suprised it to find out it wasn't as messy as i thought it would be, the oil gets delivered through the rocker if i'm not mistaken, the pushrods are solid, so there is no oil shooting up in the air :) May be worth a shot.

How much adjuster (how many threads) is sticking out the bottom of the rocker?

i just looked at how may threads are sticking out the bottom of the rocker.
not all of them are the same, some show no threads out of the bottom, one shows 2 threads. When looking closer at the pushrods i noticed that the one that has the 2 threads showing on the bottom of the rocker is actually a bit shorter then the other ones... I love it when you find weird things like that... Why would someone put different size pushrods in an engine...? I should probably order some new ones (same size), eventhough it probably doesn't make a difference since the rockers are adjustable.

The fact that the PO went to the trouble of using adjustables makes me figure that it is actually a solid lifter cam.

The one pushrod being shorter than the rest may mean he banged a valve or somehow managed to bend a pushrod. If you are gonna get new pushrods, there is a simple procedure to measure for the correct length.

Having one pushrod slightly shorter will, most likely, have a very minute effect on the engines ability to run well. That ones ratio will be slightly different than the rest, but no two factory rockers seem to be the same anyway! LOL

and don't take the lifter apart, just try to compress the cup on the bench with a pushrod.

Yeah, that's what i thought. All the evidence then seems to point to the solid/mechanical cam.
- Previous owner mentioned it the first time we met (even though he later stated it had a hydraulic cam)
- they switched over to adjustable rockers
- there doesn't seem to be a pre-load
- the lifter plungers don't depress when force placed on them
- the pushrods (most of them LOL) are the size they would usually use with solid cams.

The PO must have bought these specifically to use with this engine and cam combo since the stock adjustable rockers on a 273 used to come with 7.343 pushrods for solid lifters.

All this and the fact that the valves seem to be stuck open when applying a 1/4 turn preload after zero lash (when i thought it had hydraulic lifters) leeds me to believe we are dealing with a solid/mechanical cam and lifter combo... LOL.

They do say “If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck”. LOL

So i`ll put everything back together and i`ll set a the valves with a 0.20 lash since i`m not sure who the manufacturer of this cam is, that should be a relatively safe setting don`t you think?

Thanks, Wilco.

Quote: So i`ll put everything back together and i`ll set a the valves with a 0.20 lash since i`m not sure who the manufacturer of this cam is, that should be a relatively safe setting don`t you think?

I'd go .016" intake and .020-.022" exhaust.

they could be hollow solids,take the clip off one and check.

-
Back