Identifying Direct Connection Valve Covers

-

Just Send It

There goes the neighborhood!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We are in the process of cleaning out one of our storage conexs, and I came across some big block Direct Connection valve covers that I bought back in the early 2000s. The guy I got them from claimed he had them for a "long time" but couldn't remember the year or the decade.

I tried searching for a thread on how to properly identify them, but I couldn't find anything definitive. These have the baffles on the inside. They're fairly heavy. No markings on the inside that I can see.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

20230219_105704.jpg

20230219_105652.jpg

20230219_110324.jpg

could be bought in the later 80's/ early 90's. not sure when they originally appeared or how late they were sold but i bought them in the time frame i posted.

Those are chrome big block valve covers.

According to what i found, DC program ran from 74 thru 87, then changed names. I would have said somewhere in the eighties, for original issue.

This is very helpful. Thank you. Is the baffle on the inside the way to tell these apart from the newer ones?

For my own knowledge, if I ever come across another set I'd like to know how to spot them.

Thanks again

This is very helpful. Thank you. Is the baffle on the inside the way to tell these apart from the newer ones?

For my own knowledge, if I ever come across another set I'd like to know how to spot them.

Thanks again
The new ones are baffled as well. Not sure how you would distinguish between a reproduction set.

They made a run later on and they are made the same, baffles too. They are hard to tell apart, but if the chrome is absolutely perfect and nice, they are probably a little newer, the newer ones seem to have better chrome plating on them….originals looked nice in the top but sides and area where the bolts go was something g a little thin or not as smooth. They might have actually made two more runs of them, but I don’t believe they’re currently make them now.

Another way to tell is if you have the box, the original Ones came with the DC packaging…. all the others came in plain brown boxes.

They made a run later on and they are made the same, baffles too. They are hard to tell apart, but if the chrome is absolutely perfect and nice, they are probably a little newer, the newer ones seem to have better chrome plating on them….originals looked nice in the top but sides and area where the bolts go was something g a little thin or not as smooth. They might have actually made two more runs of them, but I don’t believe they’re currently make them now.

That makes sense. These were used when I got them and the original box was long gone.

There's some light corrosion on the top and sides that was there when I did the trade. I'm thinking they're original. They've been in a sealed storage unit in the high desert since 2008, so those rust spots are 20 or 30 years old. Probably could use a rechrome.

20230219_110239.jpg

20230219_110246.jpg

20230219_105714.jpg

20230219_105726.jpg

That makes sense. These were used when I got them and the original box was long gone.

There's some light corrosion on the top and sides that was there when I did the trade. I'm thinking they're original. They've been in a sealed storage unit in the high desert since 2008, so those rust spots are 20 or 30 years old. Probably could use a rechrome.

View attachment 1716052860

View attachment 1716052861

View attachment 1716052862

View attachment 1716052863

Yup, probably originals. Are you thinking of getting them re-chromed and use them? They are cool even with a little patina

There's a product called Bar Keepers Friend that will probably remove 90% or more of those rust stains.

Yup, probably originals. Are you thinking of getting them re-chromed and use them? They are cool even with a little patina

I'm actually considering selling them lol. My big block days are over. My wife and I going through our storage units and cataloging everything. I have 30 years worth of Chrysler and GM stuff sitting there. I'd rather this stuff go to someone that will use it.

They may be heavier than newer valve covers, if you get a chance to compare...

They may be heavier than newer valve covers, if you get a chance to compare...

They are almost identical, I’ve had both sets side by side and almost couldn’t tell them apart except for the chrome plating quality

According to what i found, DC program ran from 74 thru 87, then changed names. I would have said somewhere in the eighties, for original issue.
I agree with this. They did issue them repeatedly.... The 2002 parts catalog list them as #P5007448, chrome and baffled, but they use larger grommets (OD) and they are stamped "Mopar" , not DC. I'll look for the # in older catalogs, when I find where I left one lol. I'd bet yours are nice heavy units.

I agree with this. They did issue them repeatedly.... The 2002 parts catalog list them as #P5007448, chrome and baffled, but they use larger grommets (OD) and they are stamped "Mopar" , not DC. I'll look for the # in older catalogs, when I find where I left one lol. I'd bet yours are nice heavy units.
Yep, when the changed to "mopar performance " they ended up with MOPAR on the covers, in place of DC.

-
Back