identifying what rear axel gears i have...

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
Hi guys. How can I determine what type of rear axel I have in my 1971 dodge dart coupe super slant six car? Thanks.

Are looking to figure out the gear ratio, or the series/ring gear size (7 1/4, 8 3/4, 8 1/4)?

It's probably a 7 1/4 in a slant 6 car, but post a picture to be sure...

axle.jpg

pull the cover, its probably a 7 1/4 and look for the stamp on the ring gear.
Or mark your tie on the bottom and the drive shaft with chalk then turn the tire and count the turns of the drive shaft against the tire.
Example one 360* revolution of the drive shaft is 1 so if your tire goes 360* and the drive shaft goes 3x then a bit more for the 360* tire rotation its about a 3.23:1 ratio

just to double check, though, I am now pretty sure it's a 7 1/4 rear end....i think?

Attachments

• rear axel.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 114
do you know how hard or easy it is to swap out for a bigger one? do i need a new drive shaft?

Attachments

• tail lights and bumper side view.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 114
pull the cover, its probably a 7 1/4 and look for the stamp on the ring gear.
Or mark your tie on the bottom and the drive shaft with chalk then turn the tire and count the turns of the drive shaft against the tire.
Example one 360* revolution of the drive shaft is 1 so if your tire goes 360* and the drive shaft goes 3x then a bit more for the 360* tire rotation its about a 3.23:1 ratio

I'ts not quite that simple. I do this:

Jack up just ONE rear tire, with the front tires blocked, then put the car in neutral and release the parking brake. If you can turn the one tire, you do NOT have some sort of limited slip rear. If so, turn the tire TWO revolutions and count the driveshaft revs.

If you can NOT turn the tire, you have some sort of locker/ limited slip, so now, jack BOTH rear tires up, and turn either tire ONE turn, while counting the shaft.

-
Back