Idiot Brake Light Question

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Ok, so here is the deal. I swapped from Power Brakes to Manual Brakes. I installed all new brake lines, proportioning valve, and MC. I hooked up the single wire that goes on the proportioning valve that I assume it activates the idiot light if you loose brake pressure.

Well I have bled the brakes many times and still can not get that light to turn off. Any way to get that light to turn off or will it only function properly with the Power Brake system?

It's likely gummed up inside and stuck to one side. You won't be the first. Years ago there was a little tool you could buy---you unscrewed the switch, screwed in the tool BEFORE you off centered the switch, and it held the piston in place until you were done

Try "banging" the pedal fairly hard a few times.

I agree w/ 273, but even if everything is pristine there is a procedure you must run thru to center the imbalance switch. I have never done so (my cars don't have it), but read here that it involves cracking the tube nuts on each while a helper pushes the pedal. Even if gummy, that should apply a lot of force to move the piston.

It's likely gummed up inside and stuck to one side. You won't be the first. Years ago there was a little tool you could buy---you unscrewed the switch, screwed in the tool BEFORE you off centered the switch, and it held the piston in place until you were done

Try "banging" the pedal fairly hard a few times.

Tried what you suggested but no luck. Even if its brand new do you think it would be gummed up?

I also just read a post saying that if the Ebrake is pulled it will turn on the light. I double checked that and it is not grounded out. So I believe that its still in the valve.

Oh another thing. The metal pin that the wire slips onto was leaking. It had a small threaded nut on it and I tightened that nut and the leak stopped. This was during the initial bleeding. By turning that nut did I change some sort of adjustment?

I also just read a post saying that if the Ebrake is pulled it will turn on the light. I double checked that and it is not grounded out. So I believe that its still in the valve.

Easy to check, just unhook both wires at both switches

For sure in the valve. Disconnected that wire and the light went out. After reading a few more posts Im going to try bleeding from front to back to see if I can get it to clear. This will have to be another day.

-
Back