Idling 340 w/o Valve Cover?

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Started up the 340 over the weekend. Heard what appears to be some valve train related ticking, i.e. possible lifter noise. No obvious damage/issues upon visual inspection. Wondering if I can remove the valve cover at idle to see what's going on? Way back when (In my Chevy days), I cut the tops of an old set of SBC valve covers which prevented oil from splattering. That said, SBM valve covers, even used and abused ones, don't seem to come cheap. So the question is, how messy would the 340 get if I pull a cover off while idling the motor slow enough to keep it running? Anyone ever do it and if so any tips?

Thanks as always,
Pat

It depends on what kind of oil pressure you have. If you have a high pressure and or high volume oil pump it can get messy quick. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

I've got some old 273 probably around 67 VC I use when painting engines. I can lend them to you, and even cut the tops off if you like. LMK

Thanks for the responses fellas, much appreciated.

EL5DEMON - That's a very generous offer man! Hate to cut up your covers. Based on the other replies I think I'll try pulling a cover for a quick peek. If she's slinging oil all over, I'll shut it down and shoot you PM. Would a 12 pack cover the rental? ;-)

Be well,
Pat

I have a set off a 318 you can have for 10 and the ride. Ugly and crusty but straight.

Ya no problem, I haven't touched them in years, I can cut the tops off and even if I need them for paint it's not a problem. PM me if you want to use them.

I've read that Edelbrock Performer head drain slots are a bit high, and believe it now after priming our engine! So if you have those heads, you had best have some covers on them of some sort.

mopars have shaft rockers, much less oil spray than other engines. go for it-no problem, I've done it with a HV oil pump at 900 rpm. just lay some rags over the plug wires

I have just cut a pice of card board and ran it across the bottom side of the heads. Does a decent job of keeping the oil off the manifolds and such for a short time

-
Back