If you are or ever going to buy a car in Va. read this

-

va58

Restoration Jedi
Reaction score
Just left the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles after getting a title transfer for my 72 Duster resto project I have. Old title clearly states that the owner before me paid very little for the car by the amount of sales tax he paid during the title transfer for him. Lady looks at title and amount that I paid for car and starts asking questions. Car have a/c? no i said. 318 Car? no 340 car.
Air Grabber hood? I said I wish, because it would be the only one ever built by the factory. By now I know something is going on. It's been years since I transfer a title for a parts car or resto project, but I never expected this...
sir, Blue book value on this car is a low of $16,000 and a high of $37000.
Wow, i said, what is your point? The point is what you said you paid for the car is nowhere near that. Yep, the car was pulled from a garage, barn or whatever and is a long term project, and in current condition is not worth much more that what i paid for it. Long story short, I had to pay the state sale tax on $ 16000 on a resto project.. What a flipping ripoff!!! My only recourse is too track down seller, and have him sign bill of sale stating he sold car for x amount and me to also sign it and send it to Richmond to hopefully get reimbursed, by certified mail the DMV clerk said i should do.

If you buy a resto project in this state, you must provide a bill of sale to the DMV stating that you only paid x amount for your shitbox not the restored price of some bullshit NADA. and by the way, has anyone ever heard of of a 1972 Duster 340 going for blue books $37000.00? I would love to see that car.... Like it even existed...:banghead:

Va DMV bill of sale form is SUT1 because you know if you show up with some bill of sale written on a piece of paper, it will most likely be rejected.

no sh*t ? the DMV in COS wont even look at a bill of sale. what they see on the back of the title for purchase price is what go by, regardless , no questions asked. that is absolutely reeediculas, just another way to make a buck

Texas charges 80% of what they think is the Fair Market Value minimum. If you buy the car for $500 and the state thinks it is worth $5000 you will be assessed taxes on $4000. The only caveat is that if you get a person with a automotive reseller license to appraise the car, you can use that, but you usually have to pay for the appraisal which is often close to the difference in taxes.

no sh*t ? the DMV in COS wont even look at a bill of sale. what they see on the back of the title for purchase price is what go by, regardless , no questions asked. that is absolutely reeediculas, just another way to make a buck

Yep, just a way for the state to break it off in you....

Same thing happened to me in Delaware for a 71 340 duster, they told me minimum for that car was $4000 for a non running title and unless I have a bill of sale thats what I will pay. I only paid $1200 and had to haul half of it home in a pickup they said still did not matter and if I want a title pony up.

yeah i was being honest the sales price of $2000 they charged me in maryland to get my title a $100 title fee + $220 tax ... i walked out with my wallet $320 thinner just to get the car titled in my name

That SUCKS.
I got my 73 titled for $28 in AZ, and no smog chk required where I live either.

I feel for some of you guys.
What a ripoff.

Must be something really new here in VA - every time I've put a vehicle in me and the wife's name it's been based on whatever the sale price was on the title. Minimum tax is (or was?) $35.00

my 73 was 38.00 and my charger was 88.00 for two years.no emissions required, sounds like you didnt even get a kiss OR a jar of vaseline with that deal, wow

That SUCKS.
I got my 73 titled for $28 in AZ, and no smog chk required where I live either.

I feel for some of you guys.
What a ripoff.
But tell the rest of the story.......your tags are based on what the vehicle is worth. I was paying over $250 a year to put tags on my bike....I seem to remember AZ not collecting Tax when a vehicle is sold, they collect it every year when you buy tabs...A buddy got hit for over $500 (2 year I believe) tabs on his new truck....

in PA if it is over 10 years old the DMV could care less
usually just say it was a gift, or I payed $100 for it,
if it is less than 10 years old you have to furnish proof of what you payed if it is less than book value

All of the states are figuring out ways to hose us....sounds like it your turn.

Illinois does the same thing, just not at the counter. I traded a truck for a car this past summer. The book value of the truck was maybe $11k. I filled out the paperwork to reflect the "purchase price" of the car to be the value of what I trade following the advice of the lady at the DMV. Two months later I got a letter from the department of revenue stating I owed something like $4k in taxes and they were going to start collecting interest on that. They figured my car was worth $67K. I called and spoke with a gentleman at the department of revenue who said to just send them a copy of the bill of sale showing the transaction. I did and the new tax figure was dropped back to the $25 I paid. The guy said they don't even have any books to show value and he guessed they just pull the figure out of thin air since there is no actual chart for value. He laughed and said it was just his job to "fix it" when this happens.
Lesson learned, never buy without a bill of sale signed by you and the seller. This means if you are flipping titles, you might get a letter too.

This is an easy way for states to make up the difference in taxes collected vs money spent by the state. Don't be shocked if you see alot more of this happening . Always get a notorized bill of sale, which seems to be the only loophole.

when i lived in pa it was great . the vaule was what ever you said . now here in michigan . you take it up the *** . i went to transfer my two sleds and got a big bone up the *** . even though i had them when i lived in pa . i when i did my jeep they told me my jeep was worth 47,000 . hell it was that price new so i guess my 04 jeep overland never came down in price .

.............................and another screwjob by the incompetents who run our states.

Evidently WA state has some kind of automatic license plate reading software for toll bridges. Some guy "had" a WA license number and kept getting bills from the state for toll bridges he never used!!! Turns out that it's an OUT OF STATE PLATE number was the same as his. He TURNED IN the plate and is STILL getting bills from the other guys car!!

http://www.king5.com/news/520-bridg...charged-for-out-of-state-tolls-140642463.html

======================================================================

SEATTLE -- David Lau crosses Lake Washington all the time -- he just never takes the 520 bridge.

"I do take I-90," he said. "It's just more convenient."

So, you can imagine his dismay when he started getting bills for $5 tolls. Trips across the bridge he never took.

"It just didn't make any sense," Lau said.

It turns out there's somebody out there with a Texas license plate that has the same number as Lau's Washington plate, but the tolling system isn't able to tell the difference. That means Lau has gotten not one, but about 10 bills over the past few months that someone else is supposed to be paying.

"They said they can't do anything about it because it's the computer system that automatically processes the bill," said Lau.

What's more, the license plate on Lau's car isn't even active. Lau says he turned the plate into the Department of Licensing more than three years ago, but he's still had to spend hours on the phone with police and DOL and WSDOT trying to get the situation cleared up.

Just a way for them to make money.
The DMV will charge you blue book unless you have a notorized bill of sale here in WV.
Then to get a siticker on the licence plate every year you must pay taxes on the vehicle every year.
They also just last year starting appriciating antique vehicles, so now I pay more in taxes each year on my 48 willys than I do on my 03 wrangler. I paid $200.00 for the willys when I bought it and $15,000 for the wrangler.

Also if you have a project that is registerd in your name, and it takes you a few years to restore, if you don't keep the tags up to date, you have to pay the back taxes on the vehicle plus interest to re-new the tags.

There is a huge problem in this country where the working 25% must support the other 75% the money has to come from somewhere.

Ask them if they would like to buy that car for that amount? 16k-37k them dusters are worth alot down there.

NJ just goes by the amount written by the seller on the back of the title - no questions asked (word the the wise).

They didn't even ask when I wrote $1 on the back of a Jeep Cherokee my father-in-law gave me (though it was a 1989).

NJ just goes by the amount written by the seller on the back of the title - no questions asked (word the the wise).

They didn't even ask when I wrote $1 on the back of a Jeep Cherokee my father-in-law gave me (though it was a 1989).
When I lived back there the one thing that would trigger troubles at dmv was when you wrote gift on the title.

-
Back