If you bought a cast 4" crankshaft

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
-used in conjunction with hypereutectic pistons & SCAT connecting rods,

Would you still need mallory to balance the rotating assembly for a street motor or are off-the-shelf balancers available for this combo?

((Am here for a couple days))

I don't think so.

I bought a Scat Kit that came balanced from Brian at www.immengines.com He's checked the balance and they are fine for my intentions.

Run it hard to 5800-6000 rpm lap after lap at the track couple times a year, but driven mostly on street. Cruise on freeway around 3600 rpm. I have about 8,000 miles on it. My motor is under 500 HP.

I check the balance on any rotating assembly that is not stock, most are good but every now and then you get one that is off.
I have a SB Chevy with a Scat kit out being balanced now the customer bought the kit and it was suppost to be balanced but vibrated so bad it broke the bolts for the pulley off the balancer. ( I didn't build this engine the first time)
He could have saved a lot of time and money by balancing it first because not only did he lose the time but now he needs 3 pistons new rings, bearings, gaskets. balancer and he is still spending 300.00 on the balance job.
Just my two cents

I always get the rotating assembly balanced, and it's been hit and miss as far as how much mallory they need, or if any at all. I like the Scat 9000 series cranks for the money.

-
Back