If you can’t buy it....MAKE IT!!

-
If you can’t buy it, make it! Needed an adapter to go from 1/8-27NPT to 7/16-20 standard. Pretty much doesn’t exist, and my lathe is down, so I improvised.

View attachment 1715641194View attachment 1715641197

....and then break it upon the initial test fit.
View attachment 1715641196

Unfortunately I went too far below the hex head and that weakened the part.

View attachment 1715641195

You do know that they make brass fittings like that , I have one , had it for yrs and never used it .
It is female on both sides , 1/8'' nipple would be needed ---------

It was recommended to me as a possible solution, I think because it fills gaps larger than regular Loctite.

I would use some sort of sealant or a copper compress washer as on brake calipers. Those Locktite products are really not for sealing. While they might work, that's not their intended use. Were I you, I would want to do it only "once". Isn't this the second go around for this engine? I wouldn't want a third.

Rob, I sold locktite for many years, threadlock products are in fact thread sealants. I have a bottle of red insustrial stuff that will work to some extent on oily threads.
A9444192-1606-408E-8D8B-178F09FE3896.png

Rob, I sold locktite for many years, threadlock products are in fact thread sealants. I have a bottle of red insustrial stuff that will work to some extent on oily threads. View attachment 1715641444

I understand. I still would be leery of it. I wouldn't want anything that might make it more difficult to remove. He's already broken it once. That's where I was going. I should have been more clear.

I understand. I still would be leery of it. I wouldn't want anything that might make it more difficult to remove. He's already broken it once. That's where I was going. I should have been more clear.
Got it. With something like this, red would work, and heat would get it out. But, green, lock and wick, applied after install may be a better choice. That would seal it,hold it and could be removed if necessary.

green is used lots on circuit boards, and i have removed those tiny screws without damage, just touch a hot soldering iron to them.

You do know that they make brass fittings like that , I have one , had it for yrs and never used it .
It is female on both sides , 1/8'' nipple would be needed ---------
Then I would need a 1/8-27 NPT male to 7/16-20 standard male nipple, which I haven't had any luck finding. I've searched the auto parts stores, hardware stores, Grainger, MSC, McMaster-Carr, and of course the world wide web. All with no luck. If you could post up a link to your part, that would be wonderful!!

Last edited:
I would use some sort of sealant or a copper compress washer as on brake calipers. Those Locktite products are really not for sealing. While they might work, that's not their intended use. Were I you, I would want to do it only "once". Isn't this the second go around for this engine? I wouldn't want a third.
I do like the idea of a crush washer.

I would take @MoparMike1974’s offer on him making the fitting out of hex stock. Wonderful gesture and a good one. There would then be plenty of material so you could use all the LocTite you want.

but I like the o-ring idea. Make he can machine a landing in his fitting to accept one. That’s what I would do.

I would take @MoparMike1974’s offer on him making the fitting out of hex stock. Wonderful gesture and a good one. There would then be plenty of material so you could use all the LocTite you want.

but I like the o-ring idea. Make he can machine a landing in his fitting to accept one. That’s what I would do.
100% agree. I’ve already sent him a message. I’m finding that with a hex head bolt, there’s not enough material to use the entire taper of the pipe thread for the sender.

So that would solve the pipe thread issue, and then I’d use a crush washer for the straight threads going into the block.

FABO saves the day once again. Here I was just happy using shop made parts after I thought I’d exhausted all resources, but my lifelong lesson has proven itself once again: “Somebody, somewhere out there, has the answer. You just need to find them.”

one of my favorite preachers always said "next to knowing, is knowing where to find out"

I thought you were intent on MAKING one. You could have bought a what is called "o ring boss" to pipe adapter which is what the egag one 'is'

26 sold? Damn, how many of you guys are ******* up this hole, and why?
I fucked it up simply because I overlooked the fact that it’s a pipe thread when I was chasing the threads on the block. But I suspect that this adapter isn’t specific to the 318 or even Mopar. I’d guess that it’s for people wanting to add an oil pressure sender somewhere inline, and maybe a 7/16 port would be more common or easier to add than a 1/8 npt?

It likely is not specific to engine oil. As I mentioned, this is what is called "o ring boss" "O ring boss" is same as AN/ JIC fittings, without the flare. It is used in hydraulic valves, pumps and other components, you typically put an o-ring boss fitting into the pump/ whatever, with a JIC/AN flare on the other end and then go to hose. So these potentially have lots of uses.

I fucked it up simply because I overlooked the fact that it’s a pipe thread when I was chasing the threads on the block. But I suspect that this adapter isn’t specific to the 318 or even Mopar. I’d guess that it’s for people wanting to add an oil pressure sender somewhere inline, and maybe a 7/16 port would be more common or easier to add than a 1/8 npt?

Not to mention more people will have a 7/16 tap handy then an NPT tap
So if your starting without a hole, this might make more sense

Not to mention more people will have a 7/16 tap handy then an NPT tap
So if your starting without a hole, this might make more sense

Why? an 1/8 NPT pipe tap comes in every SAE tap and die set sold.

Why? an 1/8 NPT pipe tap comes in every SAE tap and die set sold.
I figured they were like me and didnt have a set, just buy em piece meal as you need em
I think I actually have the most basic 5 tap set

(But you peaked my curiosity, next time I see a set, I'm gonna check)

26 sold? Damn, how many of you guys are ******* up this hole, and why?

ever dig into some household plumbing and find that the last bubba to work on it used Teflon tape on literally every single fitting, be it flared, compression, o-ring, whatever?

I’ve come to realize that a lot of people don’t really understand how different fittings seal.

Not saying this is the case with the OP, just an observation I’ve made.

ever dig into some household plumbing and find that the last bubba to work on it used Teflon tape on literally every single fitting, be it flared, compression, o-ring, whatever?

I’ve come to realize that a lot of people don’t really understand how different fittings seal.

Preaching to the Choir, Jesus.

I thought you were intent on MAKING one. You could have bought a what is called "o ring boss" to pipe adapter which is what the egag one 'is'
Thanks, 67Dart. I certainly was not intent on making one, I simply thought that I was out of options. Once diymirage stepped in with that part, I went to the parts store and tried again. With this extra bit of info, they were able to send me to the local speed shop (I dunno why I didn't think of that) who had what I needed.

You're absolutely right. While I understand that you're not directing the comment at me specifically, I'll use myself as an example. I used to be a member of the 'Teflon on everything that has threads' camp, simply out of ignorance. More is better, right? A little Teflon as insurance, right? But the more experience I get, the more people I talk to who actually know the correct way to do things, the more I learn. This is when it's important to keep an open mind when someone is trying to give advice, because just maybe I'm wrong and they're right.

-
Back