If you use a primer on block, how long should it dry before painting?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
The back of the can says the same thing for the primer as it does the paint.

3 coats, two light one medium within and hour. or after 10 minutes.

It says it takes 7 days for it to completely cure.

am I suppose to wait 7 days to paint? or is it all suppose to be done with in the hour window?

Thanks!

The back of the can says the same thing for the primer as it does the paint.

3 coats, two light one medium within and hour. or after 10 minutes.

It says it takes 7 days for it to completely cure.

am I suppose to wait 7 days to paint? or is it all suppose to be done with in the hour window?

Thanks!

Let me start by saying, If you prime it,just prime as many coats as it takes to get even coverage (probably 2-3) it will dry enough for paint within 10 minutes as long as the temp is around 70 degrees where you are painting. But just for the heck of it wait 30 minutes before paint.

Then start painting the block with color until you have full coverage.
Engine paint is pretty forgiving and dries with a nice hardened finish and within a pretty quick time period.

As for curing...If you plan on having the engine put back in and running in a day or so,the heat of the engine will cure the paint in a jiffy.
But if you plan on leaving the block sitting,your not harming anything it will all still cure the same rather there is primer or primer and paint.

If a 7 day cure time was the case then you would have to wait 7 days between each coat of paint because the primer will be considered a coat.

That's just a guide line to go by so you know the hole paint job is fully hardened before you go man handling it and peel/smudge your paint because it is still slightly soft.

You have nothing to worry about though... Just make sure the block is thoroughly scraped and cleaned with brake clean and dry before prime,let your primer dry 30 minutes to an hour if you would like and then paint it and do this all in warm temperature.

One more thing, not to sound rude but I notice you start a new thread just about for every question you have pertaining to the same subject...that being said,try to keep your questions within the original posted threads to keep fabo less cluttered and so everyone can follow your questions easier.

Good luck!!! ,Pat

And you dont want the paint fully cured before you put more paint or primer on. Once paint or primer cures you will have to scuff sand to apply more coats. Hope this helps, good luck.
Your biggest challenge is making sure the block is clean of all grease and loose paint.

I've never heard of primer on a engine. Never seen high temp. primer either.

I've never heard of primer on a engine. Never seen high temp. primer either.

That was my thought as well. I don't think primer will hold up once the engine gets hot and cools down numerous times.

The trick with keeping an engine looking good is to keep the paint thin and use a thin coat of engine clear so the oils and grease don't stick to it. The thicker the paint the shorter time it will last.

The way I paint an engine is to use a lot of very light thin coats until it is covered, never try and get it to cover in just 2-3 coats and I wouldn't use primer. If you are serious about using primer then I would use epoxy.

I also have never used primer on a block.....but in one of the other threads he started, he had made it clear he wanted to prime his block so I just gave him the best info I could if was to go that route.

But I honestly do not see the point in it.
I have always just painted my blocks and never had any adhering problems or anything.

I do like was mentioned above and spray multiple thin coats until the engine is covered and I do a layer of clear for gloss and when oil drips on it,it rolls right off the block rather the sticking to the paint and then soaking in and getting under the paint and separating it from the block.

But to each his own i suppose. and although I may have never used primer on a block...I won't say that it won't still look good because I have never done it.

But each person has to learn how to do things and there own way even if it means doing them the wrong way so they know in the future not to do it that way again.

So good luck with however you decide to do it

I have always just painted my blocks and never had any adhering problems or anything.

Engine paint has additives in it like Rustolium does to make it adhere to bare metal, that's why they don't make an engine primer.

I had never used high temp primer until about a year ago. It is available at parts stores (I think I got mine at Autozone). It made for a good looking paint job on a 413 that I have. (Hemi Orange top coat)
Unfortunately, the 413 is just sitting on a stand, so I won't know how well the paint job will hold up with heat cycles until I find the right car to put that engine in.

-
Back