If you were going to choose between these two cars?

-
The '72 hands down.
Normally I like the '70 B bodies better, but like so many have said, the RR is all original survivor. The 70 is anybody's guess & looks like it needs way too much work. On 1 hand you have a car that someone took great care of to keep it nice. On the other you have a low budget attempt to make a RR clone that isn't done & what is done is kinda sloppy. JMHO.

I personally don't think the price for the '72 is all that far out of line. Especially for an unmolested survivor. If it's worth 13K to you & you really like it, go for it!
Car are a terrible "investment" anyway. So if you are buying it to enjoy it, why not?

If it were me I'd buy the 72, over the 70, for sure. Although the price does seem a bit high.

Ok here's the reply back on the email for the '72:

No holes in the body whatsoever, surface original rust on undercarriage

I am updating the distributor to a new all inclusive electronic ignition to do away with the firewall electrical components (leaving original equipment mounted for originality)

323 sure grip

Will send pics of engine bay tonight
I would not recommend driving that distance as there are only 46,000 original miles on it and engine has never been touched…would be a shame to lose a rod or something on a numbers matching 43 year old motor (although oil pressure is good with minor lifter noise only)

I would paint the top blue then...LOL The 70 already had the trunk pan replaced who knows what other rust issues it has.

I agree the '72 runner, # matching 340 rust free as for the price it reasonable. You have to remember this Car is a Rust free US car in Canada not Southern US. It's in Canadian dollars approx. 90 cnts US and your not looking at shipping which we just got a quote of 400 bucks shipping on a C body bumper from Arizona.
All that said,you really want question why this car has been on the market as long as it has ( since last fall). Are there any mechanical issues that have not come to light.

I like the 72' mainly because it's the real deal. ( a true roadrunner, and not a clone) and will hold it's value much better in my opinion. I do love the 70' body style though, and the lime green paint.

I agree the '72 runner, # matching 340 rust free as for the price it reasonable. You have to remember this Car is a Rust free US car in Canada not Southern US. It's in Canadian dollars approx. 90 cnts US and your not looking at shipping which we just got a quote of 400 bucks shipping on a C body bumper from Arizona.
All that said,you really want question why this car has been on the market as long as it has ( since last fall). Are there any mechanical issues that have not come to light.

I'd still have to have the car shipped across Canada although last I checked it was about $1500.

And yes, I do question why its been for sale so long. I've got someone on another forum who is only an hour away. He said he'd go look at the car and test drive it for me.

The blue one. It's got a pedigree and super original and that's huge! Plus, I think those '71~'72's are just starting to get their full recognition now. They're trippy and I like them! Especially with the cool factory graphics that were available for them.

plymouth-roadrunner-1972a.jpg

E55 340-4 Barrel 69-73
D34 TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission

RM23
R = Plymouth Road Runner
M = Medium
23 = 2 Door Hardtop

H2R
H = 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
2 = 1972
R = Windsor, ONT, CAN

131035 = Sequence Number '131035'

GB5 = Paint Code: Bright Blue Metallic

D6B5 = Trim Grade/Style/Color
D = Deluxe
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
B5 = Medium Blue
GB5 = Upper Door Frame: Bright Blue Metallic
902 = Date Built: 9 / 02 / 1971
077266 = Order Number: 077266
EW1 = Roof Type OR Color: White / Alpine White
U = Built to Specifications for USA Order
22 = Radiator Diameter 22" WIDTH
C16 = Console w/ Buckets
C56 = Bucket Seats 1972 up
G35 = Delete Standard Outside Mirror
J45 = Hood Tie Down Pins
L31 = Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
M21 = Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M31 = Belt & Hood Molding
N23 = Electronic Ignition 72 only
N41 = Duel Exhaust w/o Tips
V02 = Two Tone Paint
END = End of Codes

KOhn9zr.jpg

3jk3MKb.jpg

RKZZQ30.jpg

QHn4zms.jpg

YuIR9Nc.jpg

gL5xyol.jpg

dU2cij0.jpg

fid2Wqb.jpg

I love 70s but cant stand clones. Besides the 72 looks real clean and has that painted top which is way cool! It seems like a much better car.

I would take the 72 hands down...It is a cleaner car and it is a real muscle car not a clone.The only thing I do not like on the 72 is the vinyl top.Full vinyl tops just do not look right on 71-72 RR's.

Not a vinyl top...ad stated it's a PAINTED top.

Wow...someone ordered a stripper Road Runner! If I'm seeing the pix correctly, the 72 has manual brakes and manual steering!

Stupid question: discs or drums?

Asked about a bunch of stuff that the government checks for during the inspection and this was the reply:

wipers work washer I haven't tested since safety 2012....seatbelts all work and are good condition...windows fine...small oil leak after sitting but doesn't use oil between changes....all new front end components including bushings..i am having the mechanic put in the new distributor next week as the engine is running rough due to distributor play...he says its electrical and will correct...emergency brake original and functions fine

I'd probably try and negotiate on ole Blue.....If no satisfactory result, i'd keep looking.

Neither one... Get an A-Body...

Xs2

but of the two choices, I would go with the 70 all the way. The 72 is more pedigree but its still just a small block car and a 72 B-body was never a popular car even when the prices were through the roof years ago.

The 70 is a dead sure popular car that is recognizable even by the non-mopar people because it is from the absolute best of the muscle car era. Even if the 70 has some issues its still worth fixing them. Its a BB and already has the roadrunner hood and sure its a clone, but in this day and age when you cant even find a decent 68-70 four door anymore, who cares about clone or not. 68-70 B-bodies are still in that much demand for having that classic muscle car look that everyone is after, so it don't matter if its a clone or not and no one will care its a clone when your cruising down the road.

-
Back