Ign 1 bad somewhere.

-

no1newb

Reaction score
Ok, so i got my car running today, started after adjusting the choke, and ran it around the neighbor hood and felt comfortable enough to take it to fill her up. Now, after i filled up, it wouldnt start back up. luckily i had some wire in my glove box and pulled the ignition switch and made a jumper wire from acc to ign 2. i was able to make it home, but i dont want to need this jumper wire. What could be wrong. i dont have a ballast anymore and the connection where the ballast was is good. but i also have my choke hooked up to that same spot. but the other day i had it running without the choke hooked up and it did the same thing.

no, i tried jumping ign 1 instead of 2 and it kept dying when i was starting it

There's only so much "there." If other stuff works that goes through the ignition switch, like the starter, heater, etc, then......

Bad connection somewhere,

the bulkhead connector

the connector on the ign switch

inside the switch itself.

Accessory, start (relay), ign1, ign2 are essentially all separate switches inside the ign switch, so any one of them can fail and the others work.

which one of those is more likely to fail while hot?

and i jumped the ign 1 so its not the switch, or at least not just the switch. i changed the switch last summer though, i thought it had a problem, but it was the starter relay.

AHHH.

I put a 12v light on the bulk head where the wire should be going to the coil for ign 1, and it is flashing at a steady pace as if it were a turn signal, but by my book it is suppose to be the ign1 and there are no turn signals on right now and i know the turn signals work. WHAT COULD THIS MEAN?

ok. that was ign2 doing that which dosent make sense to me, but ign1 wasnt lightning up at all, i pulled the bulk head again, and turned the key and the part for ign1 was lighting up good, so i think there was a bad connection with the bulk head i guess. i just sprayed more cleaner in it and am letting it dry a little bit. might put some of that electrical contact grease on it or something.

wow. ok, sorry, that wasnt ign2 it was temp sending unit, im not use to these wiring diagrams.

Its still stock, i dont know why i didnt see it, but it shows one picture of the plug and another upside down with the wires on it, i kept trying to think it was still the same way. so i kept getting confused.

Got her warm, turned her off, started up again, took her around the block, turned her off was feeling pretty good and it didn't start again. Could it be from ign1 and ign2 are hooked to the se spot where it goes to the MSD Box?

Ok so you have eliminated the ballast, is that right? If you connected ign1 and 2 together (blue and brown) this SHOULD work OK

Once again, though, so far as "run" there is ONLY so much "stuff" there

ASSUMING that other stuff going through the ign switch works---radio, heater, etc, then you have a separate "switch" so to speak IN the ign switch for "ign run." This feeds out through the bulkhead (dark blue) to the "old" ballast

So could be your flakey hookup to the MSD, the bulkhead connector, the connector on the ign switch, or a problem in the switch itself.

You are working on the pictured 'Cuda? What year?

Where is your ign switch mounted....in the dash? Can you get another switch? Its worth having a spare switch and matched key. Arent they made of bakelite on the back?? Could that be an issue? Ok Ive asked enough questions LOL good luck

yeah dart 273, its a 65 barracuda. i think its either the bulk head, or maybe the connection between with the msd box, or even a connection not covered completely and shorting out.

4spd, its on the dash, this is a new switch as of last summer, not sure how they are made of, i just got it at oreillys im sure i can get another one pretty easily, but im sure it shouldnt be a messed up.

ive always had my choke hooked up to it, but do you think since its not going through the ballast anymore, that it could be energy could be going to that since there less resistance than the MSD box? i tried starting it, and it didnt work, had someone else try, and the choke always had power going to it, so i unhooked the choke and it started, but its started before when it was messed up, so i dont know if this would fix it or not. :/

-
Back