ign lock removal w/o key and hot to "temp hotwire" until I can get a key switch

-

john27pa

74 360/904 Duster
Reaction score
Headline says it all. I have a 74 Duster that I had to get a different steering column-its out of a 74 Dart/swinger. It was a junkyard column-no key. How can I remove the ign switch to replace it with some aftermarket set? Id like to get an all key matching set-doors, ign switch. Anyway-I want to be able to start the car to see what needs fixed yet. I just dropped a 360 into it from a cordoba, plus I replaced all the wiring in the duster with all the wiring from the swinger. My original engine bay harness was -lets say-crap lol. Anyway- without the key- cant use that and I would like to keep it running to check things. I know I can jump the starter relay to turn it over, but I also need it to stay running. Plus be able to turn it off. I can prob disconnect the alt to begin with and just unhook battery to turn off.

I'm not sure of the volts going from the switch to the coil but you can run a hot wire to the coil for fire and remove it to kill the engine as long as you have a manuel fuel pump.Hit the starter relay and you are running.I pretty sure the volts are 12 but a friend checked his maverick and it was running 6 volts into the coil b ut he is having issues with weak fire.

Get a spare ignition resistor and connect wire to both sides of it.
One end to battery+ and the other to the coil+ and jump the starter solinoid.
Using a remote starter switch makes it easier.
Make SURE you are not in gear when you do this as this will bypass the neutral safety switch.

Headline says it all. I have a 74 Duster that I had to get a different steering column-its out of a 74 Dart/swinger. It was a junkyard column-no key. How can I remove the ign switch to replace it with some aftermarket set? Id like to get an all key matching set-doors, ign switch. Anyway-I want to be able to start the car to see what needs fixed yet. I just dropped a 360 into it from a cordoba, plus I replaced all the wiring in the duster with all the wiring from the swinger. My original engine bay harness was -lets say-crap lol. Anyway- without the key- cant use that and I would like to keep it running to check things. I know I can jump the starter relay to turn it over, but I also need it to stay running. Plus be able to turn it off. I can prob disconnect the alt to begin with and just unhook battery to turn off.

You can make a remote starter switch by using a pushbutton switch and about 3 feet of wire and an aligator clip on the ends.
Makes it a lot easier to start the car while holding the throttle or choke where they need to be.
I wired one in under the hood permanently and mounted it on the inner fender for when I want to crank the engine while watching whats going on under the hood.
Key in the off position lets you crank it without starting it, and key in the run position the car starts.

I think he just wants to run it in park to check stuff not drive it,right.Anyway the cheapest toggle switch you can find will cut the power to the coil if you need that.

Yeah- just want to run it in park. Thanks everyone- big help! Im downloading the manual thing now to see about removing ign switch. I did read on here somewhere to have the key in the "on" pos. Well- no key, so we will see how much of this thing I have to tear apart to get to it. I will practice on my spare steering columns first.

If you have an extra ignition switch, just plug it into the harness at the base of the column. You can then just turn the lever to whichever position you want. You'll have to disassemble the column to get the lock cylinder out unless you can pick it into the proper position. Try some spare keys, sometimes you'll get lucky.

If you have an extra ignition switch, just plug it into the harness at the base of the column. You can then just turn the lever to whichever position you want. You'll have to disassemble the column to get the lock cylinder out unless you can pick it into the proper position. Try some spare keys, sometimes you'll get lucky.
I had a 90 daytona and the valiat key fit my wifes 96 cirrus so I just used that key.

-
Back