Ignition and lock cylinder - 1973 Dodge Dart

-

MacAndCheese

Reaction score
Howdy all!

First time here, and a definite novice to mopar life so forgive my ignorance - here to learn and love this car properly and would love your help! Recently inherited a 1973 Dodge Dart w/ a 318 under the hood.

A few days ago, A neighbor turned the ignition what felt like TOO far, and all electrical went out. I then proceeded to take apart the steering column to get to the locking cylinder expecting to find something obvious: that was not the case. You'll see the function in the video attached - but as far as I can tell the locking cylinder is functioning properly? Again, not really knowing.

caveats worth knowing: the owner before me installed the digital display and wired up a separate ignition under the dash (so you'd turn the key to get power, then ignite with the button under the dash). Mechanical stuff I feel confident with, but not feeling like I wanna get into the nest of aftermarket wires that makes up the display and new ignition.

So: should I get a new locking cylinder just to replace it and see if that solves my problem because it's cheap and easy? Do I replace the ignition switch in the steering column as well? Is there something I'm missing? I really appreciate y'alls help and have already learned so much here so I'm pumped to be here, even if I'm here with a bummer.

Link here w/ video of the steering column and locking cylinder

tempImageasoN1T.png

So they turned it to the "start" position and you lost electrical, did the electrical come back in the "run" position? It sounds like the previous owner has it wired for run power with a push button start.

Hey! Thank you for coming back so quick.

Power did not come back in the run position. yes it was wired for a push button start - is it at all possible that the cylinder was pushed too far and messed up that function?

That being said, I just got under the dash and started chasing wires and found something very interesting... This wire was hanging on by a couple of threads of copper and melting everything round it. I'm no electrician and I have no idea what I'm doin but - red wire running out next to all the other ignition wires melting in the fuse box seems like the likely culprit. Ignition cylinder a red herring?

IMG_8455.PNG

IMG_8454.PNG

Even though its been altered it will be useful to see how it was originally wired.

Yikes, I'd want to know why that wire fried. Something installed that draws lots of juice? High powered alternator? Short somewhere?

-
Back