Ignition boxes - worth it for the effieciencies

-
Im running trailbeast hei set up about 5 years now with no regrets. Spark at the plugs looks like a welding torch. I probably have about 15000 miles on this set up without changing plugs or any other issues, remember to gap your plugs to 50.

I've run msd 6a boxes. They are good,but not as reliable as they were once. Being out souced or importing junk parts now. Whatever you do,DON'T run the MSD boxes that take the place of distributors on the newer distributorless modern engines. They quit at random,and can leave you stuck. At least buy 2 or 3 boxes if you do use one or you may not get home. MSD's quality has really gone down hill and the 6LS and other boxes of that type are not repairable and have gone up in price a lot in the last couple of years. Got 2,Been there done that. Spoke to Edgar @ msd a few times,NO excuses.

MSD bought the Mallory - Accel business's mostly to get Accel's EFI stuff and better than no competition is owning your competition. I don't expect to see any of Accel's old, excellent product to make a come-back.

For a mild street engine I don't see any advantage in any of the aftermarket ignitions.

Remember the Crane Hi-6? Pretty good stuff. All digital IIRC. They marketed it with a coil wire wrapped around the box and it was still working. The claimed the MSD- as old analog tech.
2096460067_large.jpg

I'm running a crane cams hi-6 cd ignition and a crane cams lx91 ignition coil, I love it, simple to wire up, dual rev limiter on a dial, it also has a troubleshooting program, you turn the ignition on and off a certain amount of times and the light will blink a certain amount of times, indicating what the issue is if your having issues. The only issue I have had on my ignition systems, which is a crane cd box hi-6, crane lx91 coil, fbo systems distributed, Taylor thundervolt 8.2mm wires, is the pick up coil in the distrinuter went out, luckily the trouble code that's built into the crane box quickly pointed it out to me and I replaced the pick up in the distrinuter and was back on the road the same day.

-
Back