Ignition/door lock question?

-

scooby67

Reaction score
I just picked up a '74 Dart Swinger I'm restoring. Unfortunately, it has no keys. My locksmith can make a key, but my question is, does the ignition and door lock use the same key? He said to pull the door cylinder and he"ll make one, but I want to make certain they are the same. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure they aren't the same key, my 67 barracuda has one set for the doors, one for the ignition and one for the trunk, so does the 67 Belvedere a buddy of mine.

Door and ignition key are the same...separate key for trunk and glove box if your glove box locks.

I hope they're the same!! I'm going to pull the door cylinder and have a key made. Hard to move ther car around with the steering wheel locked!!!

Thanks guys. I feel much better now!!!

Too bad ya don't live near me,that's what I do for a living. I'd make ya a couple keys for nuttin. Anyways you take the cylinder to a locksmith,I would be interested to see what he charges,PM me if ya don't mind.

My locksmith always makes a key off the passenger side door lock since it gets far less use and wear than the drivers side door lock.

The locks were the same from the factory. In 38 years it is possible one or more has been changed. I think it is $15.00 here to make a key off a door lock.

The locks were the same from the factory. In 38 years it is possible one or more has been changed. I think it is $15.00 here to make a key off a door lock.

X2... ignition switch worn out, someone doesn't know how to change the cylinder, just swaps out the whole switch and now has one extra key for the car....

They SHOULD BE the same....

sorry for the misinformation on my part.

I assumed they weren't the same since both my own and my buddies car don't have identical keys for the doors and the ignition. Obviously I was wrong and both our cars must have had some door locks or ignition switches replaced during their lives LOL.

Again, sorry for the misinformation and I stand corrected.

sorry for the misinformation on my part.

I assumed they weren't the same since both my own and my buddies car don't have identical keys for the doors and the ignition. Obviously I was wrong and both our cars must have had some door locks or ignition switches replaced during their lives LOL.

Again, sorry for the misinformation and I stand corrected.

It is very common for an ignition lock to have been change over the years.

^yep. mine was changed (likely when one of the previous owners changed from column shift to floor shift).

Made me feel better about putting new door locks in, since the keys were already different anyways.

-
Back