Ignition help needed (stumped)

-
J1

j and j1.jpeg

Bugman, Yes. I got that from the pdf 67Dart273 posted.

edit: Here's what we see on the inside of the bulkhead.
This looks like the standard wiring arrangement.
upload_2021-8-27_21-47-11.png

So the question remains how is it connected on the engine side
upload_2021-8-27_21-43-52.png

Is the grommet with the red and black wires the 65 for the ammeter (65 amp alternator option) or something else?

What is unlear is whether the 65 amp wiring option had two parallel wires R6 and R6F,
or whether R6F replaced R6.
Below is how I thought the power feeds on this car connect based on the photos thinking the grommet was for the 65 amp option.
upload_2021-8-27_21-18-55.png

Because in this photo there is a three way splice.
upload_2021-8-27_21-22-14.png

I have to wonder if this was another fusible link.
or was this a hack.

Last edited:
@DCDuster75 Can you match up the those three power wires on engine side of the bulkhead connector?

Once we can establish how the battery and alternator connect to the others, then we can tackle the ignition power issue.

The fusible link attached to the red wire from the battery.
Does it go into cavity marked J on the inside with the heavy red wire?

upload_2021-8-27_22-0-9.png

The fusible link attached to the heavy black wire.
Does that go into the corner of the connector marked Z on the inside with the red and white heavy wire?

Last but not least can you tell where the small wire that you photographed with the probe goes? Does is go to cavity T with heavy black wire inside? is there anything in cavity on the engine compartment side?

Last edited:
Just trying to help J1 18 GY/R ignition fuse link should be at ce-2 bulk head connector pin Z

wiring.jpeg

connector Z.jpeg

Looking at the rats nest in the pics, I would buy a new wiring harness.

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't know why my post didn't upload (unless I'm not seeing it) but the issue was found and fixed. After quite a bit of tracing and replacing some sketchy looking fusible links, it came down to testing the ignition switch in the column. bad switch was replaced and all is good. fires up from key now and runs great. Thanks for all the input from everyone. Much appreciated. :)

-
Back