ignition kill switch

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey guys. well i woke up this morning to someone steeling my moms car. i was too late to stop them. as i ran out in my underwear with an axe in my hand they drove off. so since my car is sitting out there i want to wire up a kill switch that i can hide and it wont start unless its in the on position. someone told me to just run a wire off the negative side of the coil to the switch and back. anyone got any tips?

Depending on the car, it might be EZer to splice a toggle switch into your saftey neutrol switch lead. You have lots of opitions....(starved Pit Bull works well) :lol:

i'd have run outside with my Garand, better distance weapon than the Axe ;-)

I had been thinking in the past of installing one of those generic B&M or Hurst floor auto shifters that has the nice hard plastic base and installing an array of like 5 small toggles that have to be in a specific order for the car to start... that way the switches are out there in the open but not so simple, you could even label them with stupid things like NOS, FAN, and what not..

but now that I am not gonna put one of them in I will with put a kill switch off the main power wire on the ignition switch or... if its a case of letting the car sit for a few days unattended, remoive the 50 amp fuse that the painles swiring harness came with.

I run a electric fuel pump off a relay, and have a very small micro switch hidden that turns off the pump. This way it might start for a second but only move a few feet, maybe into the street. If you have full coverage most likely if they destroy the thing but don't get it to move it's considered vandalism, which tends to have a higher deductible, if it's even covered. More of a homeowner insurance thing. Whereas if it moves into the street then it's an actual theft, tends to be a lower deductible, and reportable.

"only move a few feet" Just enough to get it onto a flatbed and to Montreal and onto a container headed for Japan! No thanks. A few feet is TOO far for me. A satellite locating device hidden up under the frame or somewhere is the best thing, otherwise a kill switch like you guys are describing sounds good.

65s said:
"only move a few feet" Just enough to get it onto a flatbed and to Montreal and onto a container headed for Japan! No thanks. A few feet is TOO far for me. A satellite locating device hidden up under the frame or somewhere is the best thing, otherwise a kill switch like you guys are describing sounds good.

If they use a flatbed then they'll drag it up regardless.

I ran a toggle switch through one of the ignition wires. I would like to run a fuel cut off switch also. I think is summit, or jc whitney that sell a steering wheel that comes off with the push of a button, just take the steering wheel off at night, or when ever. There always seems to be a way for them to get it if they really want it. I do like the idea of a locator, if the car does go missing, I want someone to go to jail when they find it.

True eh? Apparently if they really want it they'll get it. Locks just keep honest people honest.

im not sure what car your plannin on doin this on. but on my duster i have the battery cable ran to a switch thats under my drivers seat....(shhh dont tell noone), just put the switch in series between the positive battery post and the ignition box thingy on the fenderwell. that does the trick for me!

Its so easy to steal one of these old cars. I mean to get into an old car with a coat hanger is a piece of cake, ask me how I know. If someone with any knowledge of electrical just gets inside the car, its gone. Who the hell pays any attention to an alarm anymore. I saw a company that sells a plug, the new ignition switch fits into the plug, when you leave you take the plug with you. But I'm sure that can be gotten around with some fooling. I am sure I would look pretty cool getting out of the car on a date and putting a big honkin lock on the tire of the car.

here in oakland, you have to overdo it if you park on the street. i luckily have a locked gate with razorwire and 2 pitbulls, 1 is 82lbs. and 1 is 45lbs. regardless of kill switches, there is the flatbed towtruck that can drag whatever it wants on to it. the kill switches do work though. if you have an electric fuel pump, run that to a switch as well as ignition.

hey oakland! unfortunatly i think oakland is slowly moving towards hayward. i know what you mean. i went looking at dogs today.

-
Back