Ignition lock replacement

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I ordered a new switch for my 65 Barracuda do I need to bring it to a locksmith to change it over or how do I remove the cylinder? I have never noticed a way to remove the cylinder.

you will have to remove it from the dash-- should be a bezel/chrome ring that unscrews & allows the ignition assembly loose. Then with said assembly removed-- look at the threads there should be a small pin-- put your key in & turn towards start-- push in the pin & out slides the key cylinder-- magic!! Reverse for install ,Lawrence

I could not even find this in the 66 or 67 shop manuals, and I can never remember "from one time to the next" but SOMEWHERE on the lock cylinder, there's a pinhole. There is always a trick, sometimes you start with it in accessory, or on, etc, depending on the car, but you get it to some point, and you can depress the release pin with a paper clip, etc, maybe give it a turn with the key, and the lock will slip out

Thank you guys worked perfect. It helped with some of the electrical problems but not the really the wipers. I am going to pull them clean everything and re grease and see it helps. They do seem to be reacting a bit better.

have you searched your wiper motor? I recall an article/problem that members solved by cleaning the contact plate-- which you will handle when you re-lube your wiper system.Lawrence

The motor works for a minute or so then bogs down and starts stuttering across the windshield. I think it may be the switch warming up and pulling a bunch of amps. I am trying to find the mopar part number for the switch

-
Back