Ignition relay or switch problem?

-

octanejunkie

Mopar Padawan
Reaction score
Went to start up my scamp today after it's been sitting for a few months, no dice. Cranks strong, but the car won't stay running. Checked with a test light, no power to the coil in the run position of the key, only in start.

Where is the ignition relay or where is ignition power switched on these cars? There is what looks like a starter relay next to the battery tray at the front drivers side under the hood but nothing else obvious.

Also, the headlights and turn signals don't work but all other lights and indicators do - very strange there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sounds like the ballast resistor, to me..........................

Original cars didn't have any relay between ignition switch and ignition system.

Ign2 cranks car and a second contact in the switch bypasses ignition resistor, causing fire on start

Ign1 comes on after ign switch is released to "run" sending juice to choke, alternator field, regulator, and IGNITION

Sounds like the ballast resistor, to me

i agree...

although i had an evens engine harness that did the same thing. it had a few bad crimps in it that caused the problem.

Hmm, I was thinking relay or switch because the car has an electric fuel pump that would work with the key in run that now doesn't...

Is that the ballast resistor on the firewall on the front driver's side corner?

This resistor is $5 at AutoZone, so it's an easy and inexpensive change, but couldn't I bail the resistor by going to a coil with a different primary winding?

-
Back