Ignition setup

-

72dustyer

All go, no show
Reaction score
Now that I finally got my engine back from the machine shop, I need to decide on an ignition setup. any suggestions. I wanted to steer away gfrom the Ma-Mopar ECU, voltage regulator, ballast res if I could.
I have a MSD dist, coil etc and was looking for some input on the deal.

72dustyer said:
Now that I finally got my engine back from the machine shop, I need to decide on an ignition setup. any suggestions. I wanted to steer away gfrom the Ma-Mopar ECU, voltage regulator, ballast res if I could.
I have a MSD dist, coil etc and was looking for some input on the deal.

Allthough I cant speak of the set up for the MOPARS
I can tell you I have used the entire msd set up in my chevys with only one failure and the failure was caused because the msd box got soaked when a radiator hose let lose.

On my chevy big blocks i have found the cars start easer and they also seam to wind wright up.

I have aoften heard folks compalin of box failures but every one i have helped cure a problem it was always because of an improper install.

I always have used an entire set up

Distibutor,msd box 6al box,and a blaster 2 coil and tailor wires

Good luck.

I've heard good things about the distributor and electronic module from FBO Systems. You can get the whole setup for $320. Worth a look if this is a street/strip car. I would have used it on mine if I hadn't already bought an MSD setup.

I have also used MSD's and had very good luck. I have also read alot of good stuff about the FBO system Greg mentioned and was gonna try one but got a real good deal on a Mallory system so I guess I'm gonna see how Mallory works in a Mope.

So if I go with a MSD box with an internally regulated alternator, can I get rid of the orange box, voltage reg, and ballast resistor? I'm a moron when it comes to electrical issues. O:)

The MSD box will certainly allow you to get rid of the mopar ECU and ballast resistor but there is no need to include a one wire alternator in that equation.

72dustyer said:
Ok so I'll still need the voltage regulator, but I can get rid of the rest. Is there a wiring diagram I can follow?

A few quick words of wisdom. The MSD system is great for drag cars that require the Multiple Spark Discharge (aka MSD) but you need to realize that the box (6AL) will cost over $200, the dizzy will cost $150+, and then you will have to have the dizzy re-curved to make the car run like it should so add another $75-$125 to the total. (not saying it won't work, it just doesn't work right)

For under $250 Don (FBO Systems, www.4secondsflat.com ) at FBO has a system he'll run with any MDS system and beat. That's what I did and it really wakes up an engine. My 340 went from pulling hard to 5500rpm to rockin all the way to about 7800rpm. I've not run it any higher but when I shift it's still pullin.

Something to think about too is that the wiring is exactly as stock too. That much easier.

72dustyer said:
Ok so I'll still need the voltage regulator, but I can get rid of the rest. Is there a wiring diagram I can follow?

You ID says 72 Duster so unless your voltage regulator has failed there is no reason to change it. You already have the better system that came out in 70 and got rid of the mechanical regulator.

-
Back