Ignition switch connector wiring - advice please

-

KindredSpirit

Reaction score
Pictured is the ignition switch harness in my '71 Swinger. When I bought the car the orange and two red wires were cut and not inserted in the connector, most likely due to installation of a replacement ignition switch. I see from the FSM that the orange goes into the port next to the large red wire. That leaves two open ports. The FSM shows the two red wires, which I have labeled 1 and 2. I don't know how to match these red wires to the correct positions in the connector. One port is for the key-in ignition buzzer and the remaining open port is for the headlamp buzzer relay/door open switch. Does anyone how to determine which red wire goes in which connector port?

Ignition Switch Connector.jpg

If it's for the buzzers, I wouldn't worry about them... They get annoying and can be an issue...

When we got our 71 valiant the headlamp buzzer circuit had overheated and melted the wires, so someone disconnected it...

The 2 smaller gauge red wires are for the key in buzzer and the orange wire is for the PRNDL indicator lamp. The confusion comes with aftermarket replacement switches. They have a extra smaller black wire in the port where your orange wire was or goes. Just leave it where they put it and ignore it. Remove the orange wire from the cars harness connector so that black wire dead ends. Get you some insulated male/female spade terminals and make the orange wire beside to OEM connector. As for the 2 lil' red wires, you can match them color to color size to size or just tape away to omit the key in buzzer. You may not have a working buzzer switch mounted to you lock cylinder anyway. All the larger gauge wires that start and run the car match color to color.

Last edited:
..............Look up the diagram in the factory manual..........find out where they go.........then get out the continuity tester/ multimeter.

Since they are the same gauge/ color and same connector, it might not matter

Diagrams and shop manuals are at MyMopar free. No I don't work there. Some of the manuals over there came from the guys on here

Free service manuals

Thanks everyone. I thought it was a possibility, as philcollins mentioned, that the order of the two reds didn't matter. Ma Mopar would normally use a different color or gauge it it did.

-
Back