Ignition switch doesn’t seem to fit

-

Moparmadness408

Reaction score
So as many of you may heard, my 1967 Plymouth Valiant Signet got stolen. Good news, my car got found. But the ignition switch is completely missing out of it’s hole in the dash, and the thieves look like they literally unplugged it, and just jumped the wires together. Anyways, I bought a new ignition switch but it doesn’t fit in the hole at all. It looks like there’s three lines that run down the smaller cylindrical shaped end, but the hole just has one small slot in the bottom part of the circle, and am wondering what all is supposed to be there to hold the switch in place. They did at least leave that chrome ring that threads onto the end of the switch, but I just don’t see what holds it in place to keep the whole switch from moving when you turn the key. Thanks.

I havent had my ignition switch out in a long time but i think the chrome bezel is what has the keyways to the dash and the retainer nut holds the lock to the chrome bezel and sandwiches the lock / bezel to the dash.

s-l500.jpg
20191230_174023_resized.jpg
20191130_205700.jpg

If you haven't figured it out yet.., only 1 of the three ribs is long enough to go through the slot in the bezel and bracket. Its just barely longer. Other 2 ribs serve as stops.

What switch did you buy? They're not all the same in the way they lock into the dash, regardless of what some manufacturers say about them fitting all models. Some good photos of your switch will help us see what the problem is.

-
Back