Ignition Switch Harness Repair

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to pass along information for those who wish to repair damaged/ burned out ignition switch harnesses. Well, the repair is as close as the local Radio Shack. Don't look in the crimp connectors and terminals as I did, look in the interlocking connector draw. The large male pins are part # 274-151 and are .125 in diameter, the 12 position small pins are part# 274-232 and are .093 diameter. There are many packs of the small pins but only one set of the large male pins. They do carry matching female pins too. Now the tools you will need are Matco tools MC93150 for the large pins, Waldom W-HT-1921_P for the small pins. I know there are other tools but these are the ones I used so I "know" they work. For the large pins use slot C for the wire crimp and slot B for the insulation. The small pins use slot B for the wire crimp and slot A for the insulation. If you do not use these particular tools make sure you get "open barrel" crimp tools. Hopefully the administrators can make this post a sticky.

Attachments

• Matco crimp tool.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 220
  • Waldom crimp tool.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 218
  • large ign. sw. pin.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 216
I used Molex style RadShack connectors to replace my cluster connectors. It's not clear to me what you used these for in your case? Are you talking about replacing the ignition switch connector on the 70/ later column mounted IGN switches?

Yes. My car is a "71 Duster. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• Ign. Sw. Harness.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 213
Looks like the same crimper I use for the "57 terminals" in most connectors, but you don't show the jaws. Bought mine at Fry's Electronics ~$15.

Ok Bill Grissom, Here are pic of the jaws of each tool. The first pic is the Matco , then the Waldom.

Attachments

• Matco jaws.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Waldom jaws.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 173
Between different connectors (just look at laptops, cameras, and PDAs LOL) and crimpers, we REALLY need the engineers to design SOME MORE different ones, doncha think"

34j6sfl.jpg

cursing.gif

Pssht. Look at the huge varieties in each brand of AMP, Molex, Duetsch, etc. and then some products use a mix of all of those in one product (Example: Late model Harley-Davidson).

I prefer Duetsch myself. It's too bad the crimpers are so damned expensive!

Pssht. Look at the huge varieties in each brand of AMP, Molex, Duetsch, etc. and then some products use a mix of all of those in one product (Example: Late model Harley-Davidson).

I prefer Duetsch myself. It's too bad the crimpers are so damned expensive!

My point exactly

Ok Bill Grissom, Here are pic of the jaws of each tool. The first pic is the Matco , then the Waldom.
My Fry's one looks just like the Waldom photo. It might even be that brand. Works good for <$20. I always solder too just to be safe.

-
Back