Ignition switch power on "run and start"

-

CElliott

Reaction score
Hey! We need 12v power on "on" and have it continue on "start". A constant 12v through the start cycle. I can't see how we get both out of the ignition switch. We're setting up a Holley Sniper EFI on a 408 stroker in our '73 Duster. Checked the FSM, but am not seeing it if it's there.

Thanks, much appreciated.

What ignition/distributor are you using? If using MSD, Hei conversion or other aftermarket ignitions, your "IGN1" and "IGN2" wires are normally twisted together, supplying the combined signal. Tap in from there, or better yet use that source to trigger a relay that will supply a clean 12v supply.
If using the stock-style Chrysler electronic ignition, use leads from IGN1 and IGN2 to trip a relay to supply the Sniper.

yep, covered over and over again. Chrysler sent full system voltage to coil only during switch start. After starting, switch at run, a different wire to feed the coil through a ballast resistor. Common practice has been delete ballast resistor, tie blue and brown wires together. Very few have reported a misfire or even a backfire as switch changed positions, start to run. I don't know what ignition system they were using.

.........And while you are at it..........consider powering the loads off that circuit through a relay.

Your 73 has/ had Stock Mopar breakerless? The two terminals at one end of the ballast are jumpered to gether. That is the "IGN1" "run" connection. The other one you want (IGN2) is normally brown and connected to the terminal of the ballast which also goes to coil+

The remaining terminal of the ballast feeds over to the original ECU and is no longer needed

Using the complete Holley setup. Hyperspark, coil, distributor and ignition box. Can I just twist IGN 1 and IGN 2 together? A relay would be in an "OR" configuration, right? We really appreciate the help. This has been a big project over a couple years. I think we're one wire from getting it started...

The relay is to relieve strain on the key. Use the power from the key to trigger the relay. And yes, tie IGN1 and IGN2 together

-
Back